When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new "watch workbench"

CptTripps

I got the idea from MD2020, as I was going to just built a normal table. I started sketching, and came up with this design for my watch workbench.

This is only ever going to be a hobby for me, but having great tools, lighting, and environment is very important to me. Plus, it's fun to build stuff.

I plan on adding padded armrests in the "dips" but that'll come after I shape the table. This is just the starting point.

I already have a maple 8'x2' butcher-block, and this will only be 5' wide.

post-53458-13705713096.jpg

post-53458-137057132226.jpg

post-53458-137057133551.jpg

post-53458-137057134868.jpg

post-53458-137057136225.jpg

Cool. Will follow this with interest, as I am already finding that the conventional office desk, and chair do not work, and find myself on my knees rather than my chair when working on watches.

Heres somthing i posted a while back of differnt watchmakers benches and how messy they are lol http://www.network54...1252004/Benches

Give you some ideas.

Ok so im not a wood worker and ive been wondering how do they get

THISPosted Image

Into ThisPosted Image

Do they wood glue it to hold together? and the use some type of screws to hole it?

Glue only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's glued, sits under pressure for several days, then they plane it down. Then treat it...sand it...treat it some more.

It all depends on how deep you want to go with it. I'm doing counter-depth because I have a smaller area. I'm also not doing this for a living. (And I have a number of other hobbies that need the space!)

I also find that the more desk pace, the more crap that makes its way ON to the desk! (Read: clutter)

I'm hoping to get it worked out this weekend. I have time, am in-town, and have a [censored]-ton of tools on their way!

You can't just glue the edges of the planks together, you need finger joints:-

42_3A.jpg

The deeper the fingers are the stronger the joint is.

A wood merchant should be able to make the joints for you, or you can get tools to make them yourself.

Doing this would have been nice for my workbench, but cost a heck of a lot more than a cheap kitchen worktop which doesn't warp or twist at all :)

(of course as it's only an inch thick you can't sculpt arm rests in it although I suppose you could plane the surface off and glue two or three thicknesses together)

One thing I definitely wanted this time was loads of space to hold tools and store stuff within easy reach which is why the two shelves are supported by 2x4 and the sides have panelling - lots of space to mount tool holders of any size on, and they'll be within easy reach.

I built a work bench years ago, and what I did was use 2X4,s that we glued side to side to make a 4" deep block and you can make it as long as you need. another alternative that we used in our kitchen initially was laminated wood that is used for trailer flooring, I bought mine from a millwork company that makes trailer flooring from scrap oak flooring. they also have a big plant next door that makes tongue and groove oak flooring, and the ends, off color wood, etc, were used for the trailer flooring. It comes as long as you want I believe 18"wide, but with a shiplap on one side to fasten two together. It's heavy, stable as heck, and makes a beautiful work surface. This is a link, let's you see what it looks like. This is tropical hardwood, we used Oak http://www.trailerdecking.com/Products.aspx?FilterstoAdd=525

Heres somthing i posted a while back of differnt watchmakers benches and how messy they are lol http://www.network54...1252004/Benches

Give you some ideas.

Ok so im not a wood worker and ive been wondering how do they get 

THISsoft_maple.jpg

Into ThismapleBBtop.jpg

Do they wood glue it to hold together? and the use some type of screws to hole it? 

First thing, you are going to have to run them through a edger/joiner to true up the sides, that's so they will glue up uniformly, then you are going to have to have a large area where you can lay them flat, apply the glue and then clamp them until the glue sets up. You will probably have to put a 2X4 across them top and bottom on each end and in the middle. These will have to be clamped to keep the boards from trying to buckle up when you clamp them. If you aren't careful and keep them clamped to keep everything flat, you will end up with a big piece of wood that is bowed from the clamps pulling on it. Another thing, even though this is a pretty good idea, unless you have a very strong frame to screw the table top down on, with several cross pieces so that you can screw it down across it's entire width about every 18-24" , you are going to run the risk of warping. Wood is a natural material, so it wants to expand and contract depending on the humidity in the environment it's in. That's why I like the idea of trailer flooring, or 2X4's glued side to side, one heavy mother, but when it's all glued up and done, it's very, very stable.

Looking good but the cut outs are missing the point...

You want your upper body comming closer to the bench while you arms have a resting point. Therefore al the watch makers benches I have seen have an opposite cut out: inward curve.

An example:

E8955598-ACA4-4A50-BFFE-9B9A89FAB201-333

Looking good but the cut outs are missing the point...

You want your upper body comming closer to the bench while you arms have a resting point. Therefore al the watch makers benches I have seen have an opposite cut out: inward curve.

An example:

E8955598-ACA4-4A50-BFFE-9B9A89FAB201-333

I'd love to see the watches this guy works on, considering all those tools round the sides and back look like wood chisels! :D

Actually what on earth is that workbench for? I see number/letter punches at the back, got to be > 100 chisels, sharpening stone, scribes, hammers, a compass, magnifying glass, couple of work holders, a glass sphere half full of water / clear liquid, and what look like a couple of old brass oil lamps.

I'd love to see the watches this guy works on, considering all those tools round the sides and back look like wood chisels! :D

Actually what on earth is that workbench for? I see number/letter punches at the back, got to be > 100 chisels, sharpening stone, scribes, hammers, a compass, magnifying glass, couple of work holders, a glass sphere half full of water / clear liquid, and what look like a couple of old brass oil lamps.

It's for an engraver. That vice in the center is a gravers vise. those aren't chisels, they are gravers, different shapes to get different effects. Also he has a small smoke lamp on the left side, that's to check tolerances and to create a pattern on the metal, using black smoke..

It's for an engraver. That vice in the center is a gravers vise. those aren't chisels, they are gravers, different shapes to get different effects. Also he has a small smoke lamp on the left side, that's to check tolerances and to create a pattern on the metal, using black smoke..

Thank you and Mike, another school day for me :)

I was wondering what wood work would need that many chisels - or perhaps he really, REALLY hates sharpening them :)