When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I polish smudges off my crystal?

I tried toothpaste, Windex, soap, hot water, pledge, etc...

The persistent smudges still remain. I can't get a good photo but I hope you know what I'm talking about

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Im intrested in what the whole process is for ARing a crystal. I never really looked into it.

That makes two of us :)  I'm unsure if its a dip/submerge process, spray, or a type of powder coat.  Off to youtube to see if there's anything on these lol

Im intrested in what the whole process is for ARing a crystal. I never really looked into it.

That makes two of us :)  I'm unsure if its a dip/submerge process, spray, or a type of powder coat.  Off to youtube to see if there's anything on these lol

Just found this video on Youtube about AR coating.  The dip method.  Although not watch crystals, still worth watching.

Then theres this other process too...

And finally, again, whilst not a watch crystal, the following video show the spinning application, which in this demo is a microchip.

Edited by SSTEEL

Many optometrists will accept a watch crystal for AR. Of course, these are sent out to a lab for the coating (unless you know someone, the labs do not generally deal at the retail level). A local optometrist AR'd the area of the crystal below the cyclops on my TT GMTC

eyear0041.jpg

Definitely the AR coming off.  iruined a pair of glasses just like that thought the stuff was a smudge, went to work with plastic windscreen polish  and in about 10 minutes the little smudge was a big smudge!!

Lucky for you sapphire is hard, not like plastic eyeglass lenses, yours can be stripped and the AR reapplied.

Thanks guys. I have a great idea. If sapphire is so hard and resilient, why can't they just put that stuff on top of the coating so it doesn't get scratched so easily :lol: