When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate vs. v5 planet ocean

rikramer

So I've been reading threads all morning but can't seem to find my answer. Apologies for the noob type question. I am looking to find the best current 42mm PO on the market now. This forum made it clear that v5 is the latest and greatest. Perfect, however trustytime doesn't list a v5. Rather they have what they refer to as the "ultimate best version". http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_114&products_id=10437

My question is: are these watches one and the same? Is "ultimate best" synonymous with the latest v5?

Thanks the help!

Thanks. So is the link i copied, the v5? How can one tell the v5 vs. other versions?

The watch you linked is another animal entirely .. it's a CERAMIC Planet Ocean .. every version before this (the v3, v4) are all steel inserts .. the latest Planet Ocean uses ceramics.

What you need to decide first is do you want the Steel bezel Planet Ocean or the newest model Ceramic bezel.

The watch you linked is another animal entirely .. it's a CERAMIC Planet Ocean .. every version before this (the v3, v4) are all steel inserts .. the latest Planet Ocean uses ceramics.

What you need to decide first is do you want the Steel bezel Planet Ocean or the newest model Ceramic bezel.

If ceramic is the newest, I assume it is probably the most accurate to the gen, correct? If so, I'll definitely go with this one.

If ceramic is the newest, I assume it is probably the most accurate to the gen, correct? If so, I'll definitely go with this one.

No, Generally the last version of an older model(steel) is better than the first or second of a new(ceramic) But this is not always the case, sometimes an earlier version in a series has better features that were not carried over to the latest model. The V5 42mm PO is a very accurate rep, needs very few mods and will accept many gen parts. The ceramic has an open caseback and this would nix it for me because the engravings do not turn an Swiss eta or a eta clone into an Omega 8500 movement.JMHO

No, Generally the last version of an older model(steel) is better than the first or second of a new(ceramic) But this is not always the case, sometimes an earlier version in a series has better features that were not carried over to the latest model. The V5 42mm PO is a very accurate rep, needs very few mods and will accept many gen parts.

Thanks. I will email Andrew about the v5 since I can't seem to locate it on the TT site.

So I'm still having challenges locating the version 5. I emailed Andrew however I was just linked back to the ceramic versions. Can any of the experts on here confirm which version this is: http://www.p-cls.com/0omse00057-planet-ocean-ssss-swiss2824-p-9547.html

Thanks!

THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ONE YOU WANT!

Here's my UPO 45.5 . Similar construction, but it will not take as many gen parts as the V5 42 that you want and is in that link you provided.

DSC00016.jpg

i don't think the ultimate upo(45mm) is obtainable anymore. you can still find v5 po's(42mm) but the upo(45mm) is discontinued. msg. sead at supermirrors or toro maybe able to source but andrew and josh have both made it known to me that they don't have any ultimate upo's(45mm) anymore, only ceramic in 45mm. ohh, try vac too. the ceramic 45mm po is very nice tho, but no where near as close to gen as the upo(45mm) or v5 po(42mm) are.

So I'm still having challenges locating the version 5. I emailed Andrew however I was just linked back to the ceramic versions. Can any of the experts on here confirm which version this is: http://www.p-cls.com/0omse00057-planet-ocean-ssss-swiss2824-p-9547.html

Thanks!

I can tell you 100% that this is V5, not even opening the link, because I have all the numbers and links in Excel, never know when you will need them. 9547 is V5 with black dial and bezel and orange numbers, price was 318USD. Tell me I am right?

And one more thing, the bigger the number in the link, the newer the watch is. CrPO's have numbers 13310, 13311 and 13314.

And it also says at the bottom when the watch was added to the catalog.

Edited by GrimReaper85

• 2 weeks later...