When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can a 2846 movement be converted to a GMT movement?

dutchguy2

You need 4 separate parts to convert. The modified intermediate date wheel, the new gear where the day corrector goes, the modified date jumper plate and of course the gmt wheel itself. A higher hour wheel, canon pinion and fourth wheel might be needed for dial clearance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

A higher hour wheel, canon pinion and fourth wheel might be needed for dial clearance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes... the GMT conversion uses H5 wheels. You must do a pretty complete disassembly and reassembly to complete this conversion but it works great. There is a pictorial of the conversion on this board somewhere.

Since search is down, I'll just repost an earlier tutorial I did

I'm going to swap the clone 2836 for a Swiss 2846. In order to do this, I have to remove the parts from the 2836 that drive the GMT hand and swap them to the other movement. I am also going to leave out the gear that allows the GMT wheel to be independently adjusted; the gen 1675 does not have an independently adjustable GMT hand.
3d9afd10.jpg

I don't have any formal watch training so I don't know the names for all of this stuff, but you remove the top cover plate and the hour hand wheel first (GMT wheel on left sits on top of the cover plate so it just lifts off)
41e16afd.jpg

Then you remove the date mechanism stuff
31ebb0e2.jpg

Now I will just install the pile of parts on the left onto the movement on the right. You need to swap the date jumper spring cover plate (which has a bit of a slot cut into it to clear the new teeth on the other side of the calendar wheel gear) as well as the calendar wheel gear. If you want to have the independently adjustable hour hand you also need to move the small gear that's installed where the date flipper paddle would usually go, I am going to leave it since I don't want that feature on the 2846.
ad122958.jpg
b5575a7d.jpg

ffdc024a.jpg

Install the dial and hands:
42295d9f.jpg