When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project Franken

clem2192

I'm using TC hands, I got the canon pinion changed to the H4 when I purchased the movement so should all be good there.

Not really wanting to go to super Franken with movement just yet.

I'm also considering using the TC dial for now in case I decide on the gen movement route in the future but is rather just build it once!

There are just a few things I'm unsure about even with all the research I've done it's not 100% clear.

Sounds like sensible good advice, especially as the gen dial wont have any feet once they have been clipped. Get everything in place with the rep dial then just swap the dial over - thanks

Do I need to remove the date wheel from the movement to do this or can it be carried out in-situ ??

Am I also going to need a dial spacer so that the dial doesnt interfere with the changing of the date ?? I have the H4 cannon pinion on my 2824.

While you could try to do the work with the DW still installed on the movement, I wouldn't. Even if you are careful with the epoxy, it would be too easy to have it bleed over and damage the movement.

You may need to do something regarding a dial spacer, depending on how TC's movement ring is fabricated (I haven't seen one). I'm not sure if you can sand the DW down enough to make up for the overlay.

While you could try to do the work with the DW still installed on the movement, I wouldn't. Even if you are careful with the epoxy, it would be too easy to have it bleed over and damage the movement.

You may need to do something regarding a dial spacer, depending on how TC's movement ring is fabricated (I haven't seen one). I'm not sure if you can sand the DW down enough to make up for the overlay.

Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind. I have sourced an ETA dial spacer so I have that if required (would be useful as I could glue the dial to this too)

Can someone help me out......

So waiting for all the gen parts has got me thinking (a bad thing I know) but I am considering the possibility of going super franken in the future (depending on whether or not I can pick up a gen movement at a reasonable price).

Does a TC case house a gen cal. 3035 movement ?? I know that it houses a gen cal. 3135 movement but with the 3035 being slightly thicker I am unsure.

Has there been any update on the Yuki 3135 Asia clone movement ?? I have read the review posted by watcher and it looks as though there were problems, have these been addressed yet ?? Is a 3135 clone a viable option ??

I currently have a gen dial and hands (I know that gen hands dont fit an ETA but picked them up at a reasonable price) and am loathe to ruin a gen dial by cutting the feet to fit an ETA movement. So am considering the possibility of building first with an ETA movement and TC dial & hands for now until I have the funds to source a gen movement or changing to a Yuki 3135 clone (if it is any good??) and then swapping out to a gen movement at a later date.

Any help / thoughts would be much appreciated

Edited by clem2192

I personally would not go gen on the movement. The cost of all the gen parts (unless you were very lucky on cost) would put this past a reasonable ratio to buying a gen. You're going to be lucky to pick up a 3135 for much less than $2,000, so I'm guessing you will be in the $3,000 to $3,500 range by the time you are done ... and it will still be a rep. You can buy a gen for <$5,000.

If you want to use the gen dial and are concerned about cutting the feet off the dial, then I would go with the 3135 clone.

I may have sourced a gen movement (working but not serviced) for a reasonable price, the outlay on the other parts has so far set be back circa. £900 so would be spending less than £2k.

Decent examples over here go for around £4k so would still be saving around £2k on a gen.

• 4 months later...