When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage accuracy

BlackFlash

Thanks guys! I feel like I truly belong here - at least  if we're talking cars (Fiats, Rovers and the like) and watches. 

@Panerai153 - It would seem quite fitting to drive The Queen (Range Rover) while wearing a Steve McQueen. Perhaps it'd be a corny joke in my head (that has now escaped) but I'd think of it and smile. A vintage Rolex is beautiful, but perhaps I'll work my way up to it as a franken to get it right. Whereas, with a newer model I can make a few mods and have it looking sharp.

@Freddy - As for my Fiat, you're right I've only had it for 4 years. And since I live in New England, it only comes out when it doesn't require the top up. Unfortunately, that means it's only a few months out of the year. It hasn't seen a flatbed yet, but from what I hear, it's inevitable. I'm not looking forward to that day, so I do my best to enjoy every mile that it runs as well as it does.

@Nanuq - if you don't like washing your Land River, might I suggest that you get a boyfriend, like mine, who bathes it regularly :) It's just too bad that he has an obsession with the Lexus as he has two: the huge SUV and the baby hardtop convertible - yuck.

Flash

Ah, a man who appreciates fine motoring. Many years ago, after I sold the E-Type, I thought it would be clever to 'update' the Spitfire similar to what you did. Unfortunately, it made leisurely weekend drives in the country, which is all I use it for, literally unbearable. So I removed all the updates, returned the car to 100% stock & lived happily ever after

spitfire21.jpg

1665aug110152__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

I have never owned an Elan, but always respected Mrs. Peel's choice. I did have a Super 7 for a bit in the 80s, which was a glorious car, when it ran. The 7 did make it to a couple of car shows

cr_sseven1.jpg

That Spitfire looks very well loved Freddy,I know what you mean about turning them into road legal racing cars. I needed a lie down after an hour in that thing, brilliant fun though. I had a Caterham 7 for a while too, nothing as fancy as the Lotus twin cam engine version just a 1600 Ford crossflow on twin 45 Dellortos. Still went like the clappers though. Colin Chapman certainly got the power to weight ratio theory right.