When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Explorer II 42 mm Black dial isn't matte...

1932polo

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've read a few reviews on the explorer II black dial (noob) a few people have said the white is more accurate as the black dial should be matte, but looking at real life gen pics as well as videos and the dial looks glossy... 

The image shows the reflection from the dial beneath the hands, there are plenty other pics from that website that show this also... I have just purchased a white dial noob but contemplating changing my order to the black. HELP?!?!?

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/new_rolex_explorer_2_216570.htm

I do not agree.. Less glossy is still 180 degrees from matte

Just look at laptop screens.. There are matte and glossy... Ok? Totally different.

Now this. Would you call the screen of an iphone 5 more matte or glossy? I think you would say glossy.

Right but did you know that the screen of an iphone 5 is almost 30% less reflective than its predecessors ?

But we still wouldn't say a matte iphone 5 screen is more gen like than an glossy or do we? Or would you replace the broken screen with a matte one?

And I think this dial maybe around the same.. Maybe 30% less glossy or so.. I really wouldn't know the exact numbers. But he it's just my opinion

• Like 1

I am not going to argue about the precise reflective/refractive qualities of the 216570's black dial, but I will quote this:

Two elements of the black dial appeal to me. The first is the charcoal, matte finish like that on the Deep Sea, rather than the glossy black on the other sports models.

That's from Watches by SJX.  The same article from which you pulled that photo. 

Thanks for your responses guys, I actually managed to make it down to bond street London this weekend (equivalent to Rodeo drive for the Americans) I was able to have a peek at one at watches of Switzerland. The dial doesn't look matte at all, its some what glossed but no where near matte or the equivalent! If there is a big difference in "dial gloss" (just made that one up) then the differences are unnoticable I was able to see a sub and gmt master in the same window it was very difficult to tell the difference in dial colour between the three.

I'm actually going to go for the black dialled version based on this, does anyone know any "black dial issues" I need to be looking out for in my qc pics, other than the usual alined date wheel, alined rehaut. 

Was at an AD yesterday and certainly wasn't matte like yours. Maybe there are 2 versions like with the DSSD. That one also has a matte and glossy dial. There was a very long debate on that model too. But it was finally settled, there a two versions.

Maybe they did the same with the Explorer II