When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tool bench help

panermaniac

I polyurethaned my bench to give it a nice clean and smooth finish then got a Bergeon watchmakers rubber mat to use as the watchmaking surface itself.

The advantage of the rubber mat is that it provides a little bit of protection to any part that gets accidentally dropped and there's also less chance of any dropped part bouncing away into neverland.

This is the mat I used;

Bergeon 2746: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/mats

I believe the Bergeon mats as well as A&F amongst others are anti-static as standard.

Static isn't such an issue with mechanical watches as it is with computers. Magnetism is the big thing but that doesn't come into play for mats.

Very useful tool, the microscope. Mine is a cheapo, I bought it on the bay, the kind that universities use and replace.

If you read the watchmakers forums, many of those guys use them, that's where I got the idea.

At my age this is often easier than a loup. You wanna see a microscope? Check with Jmb....he has a serious one :)

Interested in possibly getting the same mate, do you have a link to the eGay store when you got yours from?  Failing that, whats the name of it?  I could try and find it myself.

Thanks mate.

Interested in possibly getting the same mate, do you have a link to the eGay store when you got yours from?  Failing that, whats the name of it?  I could try and find it myself.

Thanks mate.

Mine is a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4. You Can find them in good condition for 100$. Then you need a base, and light source.

My base was probably another 100$ and the light is a cheap Led ring light, but works very well. You can get very well set up for 300$

I have forgotten most of what I learned when I researched this way back. There are a lot better brands etc, There are 100's of options.

These are older scopes that universities turn in for upgrades, guys buy them in huge lots... and put them up cheap on the bay.

I got my info back then as I mentioned, from watchmakers forums...I found out what power I needed and what to get there.

Many watchmakers use these, some use expensive dental loupes, some use a regular loupe and some... a combination of all three.

Jmb has a much better one, and I also got some info from him. It is really helpful looking at movements and things.

Now that's one nice looking microscope but $1,800!!! Yikes! As good as it would be to have one of them I'll have to stick with my £15 Bergeon Double Lens for now.

Yes I have a boom, but that is crazy to spend....find your scope, then find your boom, and then figure a light source...find all of this used.

More like this :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bausch-and-Lomb-StereoZoom-4-Microscope-w-Stand-/190877298718?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c712c701e

• Like 1

Mine is a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4. You Can find them in good condition for 100$. Then you need a base, and light source.

My base was probably another 100$ and the light is a cheap Led ring light, but works very well. You can get very well set up for 300$

I have forgotten most of what I learned when I researched this way back. There are a lot better brands etc, There are 100's of options.

These are older scopes that universities turn in for upgrades, guys buy them in huge lots... and put them up cheap on the bay.

I got my info back then as I mentioned, from watchmakers forums...I found out what power I needed and what to get there.

Many watchmakers use these, some use expensive dental loupes, some use a regular loupe and some... a combination of all three.

Jmb has a much better one, and I also got some info from him. It is really helpful looking at movements and things.

Thanks for the info Woof. $300 is actually fairly reasonable. So much so I think I might just have a look at them.

Thinking more about this, I spent more like 200$ on my base/boom, but I went crazy :)

Honestly, I was so surprized when I looked into it and found I could get one cheap.

My particular StereoZoom was located local, even though I got it off the bay, I saved on shipping.. I think total was 75$

The StereoZoom 4 is like the Ford truck of scopes...there are millions of them for sale, and they work well for average hobbyist.

How does this package stack up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Boom-Stand-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-54-LED-Light-/200673146195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb90d3553

Not too bad a price considering its new, and contains everything.  The only thing is need to add import duty to total price.

I am no expert, but that scope appears to be new and asian made. Me, I would still go used and well known name brand.

Nikon are some of the best in this area, I believe that's what Justin has..he was lucky enough to get his from his work.

The particular one I bought, even though it was made in probably 1970...works like new...really :) It's one of the things I bought that I still enjoy and don't feel I wasted money.

They make an attachment lens thing for mine to take photo's that I want...you should see what the details on a movement look like! Also with the boom, plenty of room to work on.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a pretty serious-looking device you got there. :good:  I paid nearly the same for my mid-level watchmaker's 'scope (under plastic cover in top right corner of my pic) & mine looks like a kindergarten toy next to yours.