When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is there no Speedmaster with the modified movement with correct subdial placement?

fitmic

Honestly this potential speedy from the modded subdial a7750 has been talked about as far back as 2009 (2008 even) ....when the actual movement came out on the PO chrono the dealers were even saying back then it's being made, it's on the way etc.

...Here we are 4 years later, make of that what you will! happy.gif

Thickness.

Agreed, This is a big issue and is hardly ever talked about compared to the subdial spacing....the gen is significantly thinner case profile than all the current reps....or even what is possible with the modded a7750.

What if do without the rotor and convert the 7750 into quasi-7760? Will that help to take some thickness off?

Yeah, it was one of the possibilities they were looking at at the time afaik. Remove the auto wind module and shrink it down but they then came up against the idea of using an a7750 based movement as a full manual wind, unfortunately it not being the most robust movement for continuous winding like the lemania/st19 etc seemed like a big issue. I just think they ran into too many roadblocks and it was scrapped. At the time though it was talked about like the release was due within a few months of the PO chrono.
It would be nice if they revisited something similar in the future. There are some lovely tricompax speedy dates they could do also without too much bother.

****Disclaimer :) not sure the above is 100% true but this is what I gather happened that infamous speedy superrep we are still waiting on.

Yeah, I remember the talk...4 years later and no upgraded speedy. :(

The speedy in all it's versions is an all time classic. It still makes sense to me for the factories to pursue it, I am positive it would be a good seller for them still.

• 3 weeks later...

Just the way they modded a 7750 with a tri-compax module to change the gearing around (can get problematic), they could add some gears to venerable workhorse, Venus 175 clone/SeaGull ST19.  The issue is probably more along the lines of a demand for the watch.  I don't think  there's a high demand for the watch, the way a Daytona for example or even the pricey AP Royal Oak chronos.