When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need the inside scoop on NYC

icoopernicus

Well, I am in the market for a new watch and was hoping that some local New Yorkers might point me in the right direction. I'm taking a trip with the girlfriend in a couple of weeks and would like to buy a watch while I am in the city. If I wanted to get a great deal on a Gen Tag Heuer, where might I look? I'm thinking Grey Market prices (35% discount), think JomaShop but with a store front.

If any locals out there have some good advice and could help me out with my shopping endeavor I would really appreciate it.

Specifically, I am looking for the Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m Ceramic but that's not really important. I hope to hear from you guys on this one.

Side bar - can I get quality replicas on the street there, do they accommodate high end reps on Canal St.? I might be interested in checking that out as well. 

i bought my black submariner on canal street about 1-2 years ago. I have no idea what movement it has but it's off about 10-15 seconds per day. Had it for almost 2 years now runs just fine and never been serviced. Unless you're looking for an exact movement then I don't really see a difference in quality of reps.

I paid $150 for the sub and it's one of my favorite replicas.

only defects I found on my watch:

- uni-directional dial doesn't align perfectly... off by a few millimeters. Not really noticeable unless you're looking for it

- laser crown in glass is a little too visible compared to gen. Again, not noticable but compares to what i've seen from the dealers found around this site

- sliding clasp on bracelet is impossible to use unless you have small tools on you or the strength of hulk.

- Bracelet is a tad too sharp. gen has rounded corners not so edgy.

- crown has lost a little bit of the black paint

I'm no expert in catching flaws in replicas so I have no idea about the font in the date wheel etc.

Personally, I would gladly take another gamble if someone had a watch I wanted.