When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For Those Wanting To Purchase...

Bansenshukai

Someone recently was kind enough to post all of Ofrei's links to genuine Omega parts (minute, second, hour hand) and bezels and so on, for an Omega Seamaster PO (4th Gen rep). [http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8428&hl=omega+planet+ocean]

Well, as I have explained already, the genuine bezel will not work out, so don't purchase it. Well, with the gen bezel, I also purchased the genuine hands. The problem (which affects some other gen parts you can buy for this particular model) is that the rep case is exactly 1mm larger than the genuine. So, the genuine hands (for the genuine Omega caliber 2500 movement - used by the PO) are designed for an even smaller watch (even if just by 1mm). So, if you are not happy with the "shorter" appearance of the rep hands as they sit on the rep dial, buying genuine hands will increase your problem as those hands are made to fit a smaller dial face. SO DON'T BUY THE GENUINE BEZEL, THE DIAL, OR THE HANDS. How do I know? I bought the bezel and the hands. Luckily, I did not invest in the dial. I don't want you guys making the same error. As for the post regarding these genuine parts, the author of that did it with the best intentions. I mean, back then ... who knew?

Edited by Nouns Defions

So, if you are not happy with the "shorter" appearance of the rep hands as they sit on the rep dial, buying genuine hands will increase your problem as those hands are made to fit a smaller dial face. SO DON'T BUY THE GENUINE BEZEL, THE DIAL, OR THE HANDS.

Nouns - I read your thread about the gen bezel not fitting properly on the PO as well as this thread. However, the gen hands and dial will fit on the 4th Version PO.

I bought the gen hands from Ofrei and had Marrick do some mods for me. He was able to install the gen hands (big difference) as well as move up the Omega Metallic symbol up a notch (so it wouldnt be on top of the word Omega). Additionally, prior to my mods, Marrick was able to install the OEM Dial and Hands on another member's watch. Marrick told me everything came out perfect.

Here's some quick pics of my PO with the gen hands.

158099-13158.jpg

158099-13159.jpg

158099-13160.jpg

just to add to TripleHD's comments,

Yes, i installed a Genuine dial and hands on another members 4th generation PO and it was fine. Apart from having to make the seconds hand fit more snuggly (due to the hole being too small), I felt that the OEM parts made the watch look better and showed no disproportion.

Ok. Then, apparently, I have a slightly different model of the rep PO. When put side-by-side, the hands of my rep and the gen hands ordered from Ofrei are different in that the gen hands are 1mm smaller (shorter in length) than the rep hands. The color is different as well (the gen hands look nicer - the second tip has a better color) and the lume is obviously better - but, the hands are smaller, not bigger. The gen hands I received came in transparent vials with red plastic tops, and were then packaged inside small plastic "zip-lock" type bags that had Omega stickers on them that said Caliber 2500 and a description of each item. From what I understand, the Caliber 2500 is the movement of the PO (42mm). Would they fit inside my rep? Sure. The fittings match the watch. However, the hands that I have ARE smaller than the ones on my rep. So, if I installed them, it'd be worst, appearance wise, in my opinion. As for the dial, I am only basing that it wouldn't fit because everything else on my rep seems 1mm larger than the parts for the gen. Therefore, I would suspect that the date window would not line-up, for instance. But, you guys seem to have proved that to not be true. Thanks.

Someone recently was kind enough to post all of Ofrei's links to genuine Omega parts (minute, second, hour hand) and bezels and so on, for an Omega Seamaster PO (4th Gen rep). [http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8428&hl=omega+planet+ocean]

Well, as I have explained already, the genuine bezel will not work out, so don't purchase it. Well, with the gen bezel, I also purchased the genuine hands. The problem (which affects some other gen parts you can buy for this particular model) is that the rep case is exactly 1mm larger than the genuine. So, the genuine hands (for the genuine Omega caliber 2500 movement - used by the PO) are designed for an even smaller watch (even if just by 1mm). So, if you are not happy with the "shorter" appearance of the rep hands as they sit on the rep dial, buying genuine hands will increase your problem as those hands are made to fit a smaller dial face. SO DON'T BUY THE GENUINE BEZEL, THE DIAL, OR THE HANDS. How do I know? I bought the bezel and the hands. Luckily, I did not invest in the dial. I don't want you guys making the same error. As for the post regarding these genuine parts, the author of that did it with the best intentions. I mean, back then ... who knew?

Thanks for the info anyway. Do you have any information regarding the latest ultimate POs and whether gen parts will fit them ?

Nouns,

I can find your other post about the bezel. Could you post a link or go into more detail ghere about the prob? Did you or a watchmith try it? Do you think there is a way to mod the bezel and/or the watch (al la the TW best Sub case) to make it work?

BTW-making rep cases 1 friggin mm different from gen is a common issue. Nearly every muller model (except for the conquistador and casablanca) has a case 1mm too big for OEM dials.

Ok. Then, apparently, I have a slightly different model of the rep PO. When put side-by-side, the hands of my rep and the gen hands ordered from Ofrei are different in that the gen hands are 1mm smaller (shorter in length) than the rep hands. The color is different as well (the gen hands look nicer - the second tip has a better color) and the lume is obviously better - but, the hands are smaller, not bigger. The gen hands I received came in transparent vials with red plastic tops, and were then packaged inside small plastic "zip-lock" type bags that had Omega stickers on them that said Caliber 2500 and a description of each item. From what I understand, the Caliber 2500 is the movement of the PO (42mm). Would they fit inside my rep? Sure. The fittings match the watch. However, the hands that I have ARE smaller than the ones on my rep. So, if I installed them, it'd be worst, appearance wise, in my opinion. As for the dial, I am only basing that it wouldn't fit because everything else on my rep seems 1mm larger than the parts for the gen. Therefore, I would suspect that the date window would not line-up, for instance. But, you guys seem to have proved that to not be true. Thanks.

What version PO do you have? I know that some of the earlier POs 42s and 45s actually had shorter hands compared to the gen.

First on the bezel. The first problem is that the genuine Omega bezel for the PO is smaller than the bezel of the rep. What does this mean? Well, to mod this would be simliar to try to make a dime (ten US cents) fit the size of a nickel (five US cents). There is no way to mod this because 1) Omega does not sell the bezel insert by itself - it sends you the whole thing. Why? Because the insert is fused, not glued, to the bezel itself. It almost seems like a weld. You can separate them by grinding the gen bezel from underneath until you free the bezel insert. But, you have to ruin the bezel itself to do this. Once you have the insert detached, there's the problem of size.

The bezel does not fit around the crystal. If you try to mod it so that it does fit around the crystal (by careful and even grinding of the inside of the bezel insert), the genuine bezel insert would still be too small to sit correctly on the rep bezel (which is meant for a larger rep bezel to fit around it). I welcome you guys to purchase the genuine bezel, but you'll be wasting over $200 USD to find out what I found out.

If you separate the gen bezel insert from its bezel successfully (I was able to), you'll find it won't fit around the crystal (bezel insert too small, crystal is larger than the inside of the bezel insert. If you mod (grind) the inside of the gen insert to make it fit, your are going to add something else that is not like the "gen" PO - the width of the silver ring around the crystal becomes smaller than it's supposed to be (this is the silver "ring" that is "painted", or otherwise present before the orange part on the bezel, if you look from the inside of the bezel insert to the outside). Then,you will be able to sit it on the rep bezel since that is guaranteed to fit over your rep (since it was built for that watch). But, the bezel of the rep is meant for a slightly larger bezel insert. So, imagine the result of puting a smaller insert in a larger bezel - there is a gap not filled at the edges where the surface of the bezel itself is visible; not at all what you probably intend. If you find a way to put the gen bezel on the larger watch, it looks totally stupid plus you have to sacrifice the functionality of the gen bezel because you had to grind it to make it fit over the larger watch and it won't go "click" anymore. I tried all this things. This is specific to the genuine Omega bezel for the Orange 42mm PO. I don't know what happens with what is sold from the internet on Ebay.

My rep is the Omega PO 4th generation I got from Joshua about six months ago. I tell you the truth, the second hand on this rep reaches all the way to the inside of the rehaut (correct term?). I don't see where people think they can possible be larger. Maybe I have something from a different manufacture.

Edited by Nouns Defions