When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange Remote

freddy333

strangeremote001_zps39d7c6e6.jpg

strangeremote002_zps0fc726cc.jpg

Does anyone know what this is or what component it works with?

I found it tangled in between some wires behind my stereo & servers, so I have no idea whether it belongs to the stereo or computers?

It looks like some type of wireless transmitter, but the other end of the cord has a stereo pin plug, so I am not sure what it is or what it came from?

Anyone?

Drat!  You found it!

Ummmmmmmmm, it's nothing ... nothing at all.  :whistling:  Just cut it into many many small pieces and throw it away.  Preferably in several widely separated public waste receptacles.

I figured it was something like that, but the stereo gear is at least 25 years old, made long before BlueTooth or any other wireless options were even thought of. So it must have come from something else. But what? And if it is some type of audio streaming transmitter, I might be able to use it. But where is the receiver?

Otherwise, I would toss it, but I do not want to find out later that it is needed.

strangeremote007_zps76e2c94a.jpg

The only writing on the wire looks to be from the wire maker, not from whoever made the part. The white circle is cover over a 3M adhesive pad.

It could be any of the above, but the only wireless components I have are wireless mice, all of which are accounted for & they all have a much larger transmitter (that contains batteries & a transmit button). Otherwise, I do not have any other wireless equipment running here, which is why this is so strange.

It would be used as an extension cable plugged into the back of your stereo/other compatible device.

I believe infrared words mainly on a line of sight basis and doesn't penetrate most solid objects, so, if for example your stereo is in a solid cabinet/behind closed doors/out of range the stereo may not pick up the signal from the remote. This could be placed elsewhere possibly extending the range of your remote control.

I may be wrong however!

They are quite generic, same principle for tv's, set top boxes etc etc but then they usually go through an IR control box of some sort as it would be an input signal rather than a stereo jack but basically anything that sends and receives an IR signal. Probably came free with something over the years.

Probably a set up like this http://www.xantech.com/manuals/49095.pdf

See page 3

Edited by mstan83

I'd be more worried about those pin lenses on your book shelf.....

Also can you do me a favour...can you move that vase to the left...me and Nanuq cant see he whole sofa....

;)