When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Next time you think vintage Rolex prices are crazy.........

freddy333

You may remember that the 1036gmt I purchased from ofrei 5 years ago that Bob Fry sold to someone else ended up being sold on ebay for $2,600. 2 years later, another 1036gmt sold for $3,800. I have not seen a bare movement sell since then, so I will keep my eye on this 1. But it would not surprise me if it sold at or above its asking price.

Pffffffft, this is only scratching the surface.  I'll see your complete movement and raise you a caseback ... for 1.5 times that amount.  :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-STOCK-SUPER-RARE-Rolex-BIG-CROWN-Submariner-ref-5510-Caseback-/130986643519

Yeah i thought there was some history with you and this movement which is why i asked. I remember now. But you procured another if i remember correctly ...

I ended up having to source all of the GMT parts & converted a standard 1036 to 1036gmt. It took more than 2 years to locate all the parts, but I ended up with a mostly NOS movement. So there was a positive side to the whole episode.

Pffffffft, this is only scratching the surface.  I'll see your complete movement and raise you a caseback ... for 1.5 times that amount.  :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLD-STOCK-SUPER-RARE-Rolex-BIG-CROWN-Submariner-ref-5510-Caseback-/130986643519

That definitely tops mine in outrageousness, but, unlike the movement, I am not sure anyone would pay that much for an old caseback, NOS or not. But - altogether now kids -

when it comes to vintage Rolex, never say never.

Prices are insane, but they are only insane because someone, somewhere will buy the part, watch, movement, etc. I suppose if you had a nice 6542 sitting in a drawer and the movement was past repairable, you might well pay 7K+ for a movement if it resulted in a 40K watch. The caseback, not so sure, as it is really insane!! The big problem here is the prices will eventually drive the average Rolex owner into using aftermarket parts. I know that is heresy to the died in the wool vintage owners, but they probably comprise 1/10th of 1% of all Rolex owners. I can't tell you how many fairly nice Rolex watches(vintage) that I have seen with aftermarket drugstore bracelets and straps. My late father in law had a nice TT DJ that his wife gave him on their 30th wedding anniversary. Over the next 10-15 years, he wore the TT Jubilee out, literally the midlinks were so thin, it wasn't safe to wear. He took the watch to his local Rolex dealer, and was quoted a price for a new bracelet, of maybe 100-200 USD (this was probably 20 years ago so the prices were tiny compared to today. He was flabbergasted by the price, refused to buy a new bracelet, and literally went to another jewelry store, bought a Speidel Twist-O-Flex bracelet, and wore that one for several years!. The bottom line is most of the folks that wear Rolex watches could care less if the parts are not Rolex, if the watch is 10-20 years old, they are just as likely to purchase an aftermarket replacement as a replacement from Rolex. They are not watch fanatics like us, and could care less. This is evidenced by the number of supply houses and other sellers that are selling replacement parts for Rolex, and obviously selling enough that they continue to carry and even expand their Rolex replacement parts lists.

panerai153 - You have defined a typical Rolex owner.

The average Rolex owner will often sell his watch before paying the high prices for genuine parts/service, while the collector will often sell his 1st born child to pay for a vintage crown or insert. :)

This joke was originally aimed at BMW owners, but I think it is more apropos to vintage Rolex owners -

A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW that you didn't even notice your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"

Well said, Freddy.

I was in my local A.D. chatting about vintages and the watchmaker told me about a 6538 in the back room.  It was gnarly, but in the process of being restored.

Some guy was fishing down on the Kenai river, walked across a small stream, and saw something flash among the rocks.  He retrieved it, and saw it was an old beat up watch.  It said Rolex on the dial so he brought it in to see if it was worth fixing.

When the watchmaker gave him the estimate to get the watch restored to a serviceable condition (not as-new) the finder nearly died.

His complaint?  "It's only an old watch!"

Well said, Freddy.

I was in my local A.D. chatting about vintages and the watchmaker told me about a 6538 in the back room.  It was gnarly, but in the process of being restored.

Some guy was fishing down on the Kenai river, walked across a small stream, and saw something flash among the rocks.  He retrieved it, and saw it was an old beat up watch.  It said Rolex on the dial so he brought it in to see if it was worth fixing.

When the watchmaker gave him the estimate to get the watch restored to a serviceable condition (not as-new) the finder nearly died.

His complaint?  "It's only an old watch!"

And then the watchmaker told him what it would be worth if restored to running, serviceable condition, and the guy nearly died again, but not before he muttered "fix it"!! while he  searched for a credit card. It's all about perspective, the average Rolex owner buys a new Rolex, and is really happy with it, until as Freddy said it dies, then it's a big decision to decide is it really worth it to send it off to a RSC and possibly spend almost as much as the watch originally cost to get it back to really nice condition, or sell it and buy something else. Vintage Rolexes are a totally different breed of cat. The really desirable ones are definitely worth fixing correctly, just a matter of finding the right person to do it, and the right parts to do it correctly.