When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Just Recieved My Pam63 Which Is Supposed To Have A Swiss Eta

wan

Okay, the pam63 just arrived and is supposed to be a swiss eta 2836-2....When i opened the caseback just now everything looked as it should (small gold movement) but the automatic spinning piece did not say "twentyfive jewels swiss made" on it. Instead the piece said panerai all over it.(i do see the eta symbol where it should be and 2836-2)........Everything else looks just like a swiss eta 2836-2 i have seen in pics exept the spinning piece not saying "twentyfive jewels swiss made" and the words panerai over and over on a small piece on the spinning part of the movement.........Do you think this is still genuine swiss eta or a new Chinese copy?...................Please let me know if anyone else has seen this?............Thanks, Wan

Okay, the pam63 just arrived and is supposed to be a swiss eta 2836-2....When i opened the caseback just now everything looked as it should (small gold movement) but the automatic spinning piece did not say "twentyfive jewels swiss made" on it. Instead the piece said panerai all over it.(i do see the eta symbol where it should be and 2836-2)........Everything else looks just like a swiss eta 2836-2 i have seen in pics exept the spinning piece not saying "twentyfive jewels swiss made" and the words panerai over and over on a small piece on the spinning part of the movement.........Do you think this is still genuine swiss eta or a new Chinese copy?...................Please let me know if anyone else has seen this?............Thanks, Wan

I would say it has something to do with China, it could be a Chiss or a swinese version!

a pic would help of course

This might sound confusing but its a Chinese made Swiss ETA with a Panerai rotor overlay!!!!!!

This is as Swiss as these replicas get. The prevailing wisdom here is that our "Swiss ETA's" are the high quality movements the Chinese make for the Swiss company, but without the applied spit polish in Switzerland.

Instead the piece said panerai all over it.(i do see the eta symbol where it should be and 2836-2)........Everything else looks just like a swiss eta 2836-2 i have seen in pics exept the spinning piece not saying "twentyfive jewels swiss made" and the words panerai over and over on a small piece on the spinning part of the movement.

You have an ETA 2836-2. Stop worrying.

You have an ETA 2836-2. Stop worrying.

well i did'nt want just an ETA 2836-2 , i wanted a Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement....The Chinese ETA 2836-2 copys probably work just fine but i was told i was getting a swiss 2836 and thats what i payed for......Thanks, Wan

well i did'nt want just an ETA 2836-2 , i wanted a Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement....The Chinese ETA 2836-2 copys probably work just fine but i was told i was getting a swiss 2836 and thats what i payed for......Thanks, Wan

dude, there has been a lot written about this in prior threads.. refer to crystalcranium's post.. 6 up. Swiss ETA's are not necessarily made in Switzerland in fact even the gens are often made in china although they are finished off in switzerland. That is seldom if ever the case with the reps which are made to the same standards, with the same parts, at the same factories but not polished off by the swiss. The term Swiss is used very generically in that regard, I really doubt that anybody meant to mis-inform you.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dpnt hate man its true....see you guys opening up there watches....taking them to jewlers..getting educated about movements and then they are realizing they are getting what they paid for.

Look i dont mind taking a beating from all you guys go ahead...at the end of the day when i open the back of my watchmaker9 day date and see a beautiful swiss eta movement and i wash it under running water and it shines so bright.....i know i got what i paid for...

I feel sorry for you wan i really do but enjoy you " overhauled" watch. These dealers buy in bulk so your getting everything very cheap...and it has to be for them to price the watches they sell at the price they do....think about the money they have to play with for these watches.for an average price of 200 dollars, it probably costs 150 to 200 for all the materials...But if you buy cheap copies and replicas of all the parts and your buying volume then you can put it together for even cheaper.

I dunno just think about it...

Some possible info for you here on "swiss made" watches

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

A paragraph from the site

"This law is based on a concept according to which Swiss quality depends on the amount of work actually carried out on a watch in Switzerland, even if some foreign components are used in it. It therefore requires that the assembly work on the movement (the motor of the watch) and on the watch itself (fitting the movement with the dial, hands and the various parts of the case) should be carried out in Switzerland, along with the final testing of the movement. It also requires that at least 50% of the components of the movement should be manufactured in Switzerland"

An ETA is an ETA whether or not it is made in Switzerland or their Chinese ETA factory. The quality control on these is exactly the same - the only difference is that the ETA's made in the Swiss factory usually have a Rhodium plated finish (a silvery colour) and the Chinese ETA's have a gold finish. This is the only difference, the Chinese ETA's are not asian copy swiss movts. So you do not have a copy movt but it might have been decorated by the rep factory. I have an ETA 2893 and a 2892A2 which are both Swiss made (rhodium plated) but the rotoer on both movts have been engraved with PANERAI all over them.