When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw6263

tomtofa

Recently got this used - my first experience with these.

Is this what the dial typically looks like on these (apart from the grossly scratched up hands)? Splotchy paint, etc.

And are the lume blobs usually so irregular?

Finally, the bracelet and clasp are 78350, while the end links are 93150 - a number I've not heard before for end links. Could this really be what DW originally had on the watch?

Comments appreciated.

158992-12794.jpg

158992-12795.jpg

158992-12796.jpg

158992-12797.jpg

Hmmmm... I've not seen a DW dial with bubbled paint like that before. Not saying that some aren't like this, but in the ones I have handled, none have been like that.

Lume can tend to be irregular at times.

As for bracelet... 78350 is correct for the links; endlinks, however should be a 2 digit (for rivit bracelets) or 3 digit (for folded and heavy link bracelets) ref's.

Thanks, Randy, that's about what I thought . . . unfortunately.

Hmmmm... I've not seen a DW dial with bubbled paint like that before. Not saying that some aren't like this, but in the ones I have handled, none have been like that.

Lume can tend to be irregular at times.

As for bracelet... 78350 is correct for the links; endlinks, however should be a 2 digit (for rivit bracelets) or 3 digit (for folded and heavy link bracelets) ref's.

These pictures are kind of surprising. David once sent me a few free dials, which were "factory seconds"...Most had text printing flaws, but none of them exhibited these problems. The markers on DW's PN exotic dials are rarely straight, but I've never seen the luminous dots spread out like this. The clustering of splotches in the 6:00 subdial indicates a sloppy job of gluing the subdial hand.

Edited by avitt

One thing is for sure... I've never seen David send a watch with hands that scratched. Perhaps it could have been the result of someone else installing them? If the hands have been removed, it's possible that the dial has been removed as well. Maybe someone else glued the 6:00 subdial hand on?

Might explain some things...

Well, this is a situation of a watch that has gone from person to person. I'm 3rd or 4th in line.

From the thorough reviews by UBI and others of DWs, I'm pretty sure the case and movement are actually DW, and the bracelet seems good quality (despite the odd end link numbers.) I'll probably get another dial and hands, and join the modded DW club.

These pictures are kind of surprising. David once sent me a few free dials, which were "factory seconds"...MOst had test priting flaws, but none of them exhibited these problems. The markers on DW's PN exotic dials are rarely straight, but I've never seen the luminous dots spread out like this. The clustering of splotches in the 6:00 subdial indicates a sloppy job of gluing the subdial hand.

These pictures are kind of surprising. David once sent me a few free dials, which were "factory seconds"...MOst had test priting flaws, but none of them exhibited these problems. The markers on DW's PN exotic dials are rarely straight, but I've never seen the luminous dots spread out like this. The clustering of splotches in the 6:00 subdial indicates a sloppy job of gluing the subdial hand.

Which glue is best for attaching the subdial hand? Will CS Hydro Cement do the job? Mine has fallen off!!! Sahll I apply the glue from the backface of the dial or from the front surface?

Which glue is best for attaching the subdial hand? Will CS Hydro Cement do the job? Mine has fallen off!!! Sahll I apply the glue from the backface of the dial or from the front surface?

I use CS Hydro Cement, because it is pretty strong, and dries crystal clear. My technique is to put a small drop of the glue down on a piece of paper. Then, holding the hand from the sides, with tweezers, I carefully lower the hand until the back just barely makes contact with the glue. The hand can then be carefully placed into position. Remember to use minimal glue, so you won't have to deal with squeeze-out. (If you do have any excess glue, you can carefully remove it with a toothpick).

I put a drop of glue into the hole in the dial only and put the hand into it with a piece of watch tissue under the hand itself. The hypo cement hardens, and the hand is held slightly proud of the dial when the tissue is removed. It looks a little better that way, and there is no chance of smearing the glue on the subdial.

The DW's that I ordered for a myself and another member were about the same. The chrono hand had been glued on because it was the wrong size and the spare PN dial looked as crap as yours. Luckily I ordered a standard black dial which was fine, refitted the hands properly and took the opportunity to polish out the scratches at the same time. My experience with DW indicates he doesn't have a QA department!!!!!

I put a drop of glue into the hole in the dial only and put the hand into it with a piece of watch tissue under the hand itself. The hypo cement hardens, and the hand is held slightly proud of the dial when the tissue is removed. It looks a little better that way, and there is no chance of smearing the glue on the subdial.

When you do this, are you gluing the hand to the dial, or to the movement below?

The DW's that I ordered for a myself and another member were about the same. The chrono hand had been glued on because it was the wrong size and the spare PN dial looked as crap as yours. Luckily I ordered a standard black dial which was fine, refitted the hands properly and took the opportunity to polish out the scratches at the same time. My experience with DW indicates he doesn't have a QA department!!!!!

Interesting. Maybe he's rushing too much - these seem like careless mistakes.

Quality is sketchy at best when it comes to assembly and parts selection.

I've had quite a few crappy parts that I've been less than satisfied with.

The good news is that my DW days are essentially over now that I've got a few 6263/5's with the approrpriate movements in 'em.

Cheers