When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wo Mart So Called Perfect Sub

leeson43

received my "so called perfect sub" from paul today and i can say i am very pleased! (the only niggle is that the the pearl is off - no big deal tho im sure i can make that right for a couple of pounds) its my second rep now after a PAM 005 and i can see this one getting the majority of my wrist time.

luckily the size it arrived at was perfect for my wrist and so i slapped it on and got out the digital camera

i must apologize for my skills as there a bit rusty (note the rolled up football sock for a cushion!) :p ill hopefully get some kind of a light box knocked up tonight and take some better pics of all my watches (as crappy as some of them are :D )

159220-12720.jpg

159220-12721.jpg

thanks for looking :yeah:

ive since inspected the watch a bit more and found some worrying problems.....first one is that the bezel is not alligned correctly as well as the pearl been off centre, the more worrying part is that the crystal is not right, it needs rotating aniclockwise a bit; is this a hard procedure.

also could anyone provide some pics of how the crown/crownguard should look?

i must apologize for my skills as there a bit rusty (note the rolled up football sock for a cushion!) ill hopefully get some kind of a light box knocked up tonight and take some better pics of all my watches (as crappy as some of them are )

159685-12563.jpg

At first look, my thought was that you just practicing use of that diver extension on your sweater instead of proper diver suit :blink: !

Anyway, in my case, same watch, same source (no pics, sorry!). Not same problems.

My piece is with centered pearl and aligned crystal/cyclop date window.

But in my case, the bezel insert was not properly aligned with dial markings :angry: .

Not so easy job to fix it. But after short messing with sharp knife I managed to took complete bezel off :black_eye: , pop insert out and realigned it (just couple of drops of the glue).

Regarding pearl, I think that it is just glued on the insert. Maybe is worth to carefully remove pearl (with a little help of heat from hairdryer) and then just re-glue it properly. Just my 2 cents!

Rotating the crystal - not an easy job for the average Joe. Just my opinion.

For crown/guards look at this gen LV Sub:

post-3063-1165017891_thumb.jpgpost-3063-1165017984_thumb.jpg

Dont spend to much time looking on that watch - wear it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

does anyone have any info on how to rotate the crystal? it needs rotating about 1mm anticlockwise. i realize i might sound like im nit picking but once i notice something been out of place it begins to niggle on me

also.... does anyone have a safe/easy method of taking the caseback off without the proper tools?

Edited by leeson43

To realign the crystal, take off the back, pull the stem and crown and remove the movement from the case. Then you press out the crystal from the back (inside), you might be able to use your thumbs to do this, realign it and press it back in with a (crystal) press. Make sure you don't booger up the white nylon (plastic) gasket. Clean the inside of the crystal, and reinstall the movement. A Rolex caseback opener and a watch press are the tools you need and a 1.2mm screwdriver if you have an ETA movement- to remove the stem.

Or you can do like I did one night. Drop it on the concrete floor, watch the crystal pop out, then go back upstairs and repress the crystal back in- didn't even have to remove the movement!

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have any info on how to rotate the crystal? it needs rotating about 1mm anticlockwise. i realize i might sound like im nit picking but once i notice something been out of place it begins to niggle on me

also.... does anyone have a safe/easy method of taking the caseback off without the proper tools?

I don't know if you've done anything with this yet, but I would suggest that you NOT try to pop the crystal out of the case. The truth is, the cyclops is glued onto the crystal. Basically, they glued your cyclops on crooked. It CAN be removed and then re-glued. IIRC, a little heat on a flat razor blade first, then place the blade against the cyclops where it's in contact with the crystal. Once it's off, you can clean any of the remaining glue using rubbing alcohol.

Many watch supply shops on the internet sell the glue you need to re-attach the cyclops (Jules Borel is a good place to go). It is UV activated, so you put one drop of glue right over the date, place the cyclops over the date and position to where it's centered. Once that's complete, place the watch in direct sunlight or under a UV lamp. It only takes 5-10 minutes for it to cure.

Good luck!

Hmmmm, I was going to order this watch from Wo Mart but makes me wonder how is the QC if he INDEED send the watches to be "serviced"... I got this from their site:

"This SO CALLED PERFECT submariner is specially sent for full serviced"

So those were pretty obvious flaws that are easy to spot even for the amateur.

Paul, can you elaborate? I need to dissipate my doubts before I order....

Note aside: Can someone elaborate more in regards of the cyclops? That doesn't look 2.5x to me