When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water Resistance 100% Passed!

elprimerozen

Today i have made the test for water resistance to all my watches from Josh..at my friend at ROLEX service,he has the vacum machine which is with out water(no need to take out the caliber)and is the best and the most sofisticated machine for waterproof test!All of them passed the test at 5bar pressure!!!The thing is that also my 2 Daytonas passed the test!!He has see Original daytonas that have failed to passed the test at 5bar pressure...strange but true.Have you ever test your reps?

I dont see how a vacuum mahine can test down to 5 barG presure when the best vacuum you can get is -1Bar G or 0 Bars A?? i see how this test could work by placing the watch into a chamber and evacuating the air down to 0 mB and loccking in the vac then seeing if the vac dirifts out??

If you know how it work that would help me understand ??

sorry for the stupid questions if just me !! lol.

thanks Tim.

I dont see how a vacuum mahine can test down to 5 barG presure when the best vacuum you can get is -1Bar G or 0 Bars A?? i see how this test could work by placing the watch into a chamber and evacuating the air down to 0 mB and loccking in the vac then seeing if the vac dirifts out??

You don't remove air to test it, you add air. Pressurise the container to 5ATM with the watch outside the water but in the vessel, then dunk it.

The watch has 5ATM air inside it and if it leaks, the bubbles pour out, and water doesn't get in. It's a non-destructive test.

You don't remove air to test it, you add air. Pressurise the container to 5ATM with the watch outside the water but in the vessel, then dunk it.

The watch has 5ATM air inside it and if it leaks, the bubbles pour out, and water doesn't get in. It's a non-destructive test.

He said this one is "with out water"...? Never seen this type of tester. But, I don't spend much time in places where they would be.

Mind you, I silicon grease all my gaskets & o-rings the second I get the rep, but I've gone swimming in every rep I've ever owned--even before I bought the Bergeon--with complete success. I shower in my EL Sub daily. If you've properly looked at the watch for the obvious (crown screwed down, crystal sits even, case-back is tight, etc.) you should be able to tell straight from the box that it's safe enough for shallow water swimming--not deep, and not lap. I've still yet to find one of mine that didn't pass 5 bars after I bought my tester; I think most models are built a lot better than people assume they are.

Quick edit: I'll add that I feel this primarily applies to the sportier models; simply because of their basic design & construction (e.g., thicker crystals & cases, screw-down crowns, screw-down backs) they're going to be more water-tight than the more delicate looking watches (most of your Pateks, VCs, Glasshuttes, IWCs, etc.), which are a gentleman's watch and weren't intended to swim anyway.

This machine checks the water resistance of a watch by means of the deformation principle.

The watch to be tested is placed in a microprocessor based measuring system Witschi ALC 2000 which constantly monitors the thickness of the watch. The watch is subjected to a specific test pressure once the measurement chamber has been closed.

The pressure causes a certain amount of deformation of the watch. This deformation remains constant in the case of a fully sealed watch provided the pressure remains constant. In the case of a leaky watch, the air seeping into the watch case results in an internal pressure equalization which relaxes the deformation.

The outcome is referred back to the ISO 2281 standard for water resistant watches providing unquestionable results.

159468-12657.jpg

May I ask why you would ever shower tih ANY watch, fake or gen?

I just have never understood this concept. Unless you are in some public space where you are concerned your watch will be stolen why would you get up, put a watch on, and then shower?!? And if you SLPEE with your watch on then let me ask you why on Eartj you do that? Again, is it s theft concern or something?

No offense intended, this is an honest question about something I have never understood.

May I ask why you would ever shower tih ANY watch, fake or gen?

I just have never understood this concept. Unless you are in some public space where you are concerned your watch will be stolen why would you get up, put a watch on, and then shower?!? And if you SLPEE with your watch on then let me ask you why on Eartj you do that? Again, is it s theft concern or something?

No offense intended, this is an honest question about something I have never understood.

...somy dear frien you are saying that if somebody gave you a rep watch no waterproof and the same rep waterproof you will go with the first watch?for me its very important the waterproof for every of my watches!My best regards!

For the record, watches must be 200m proof for any sorta jumping into the water and swimming. 150m proof and you're taking a risk.

And...

Pressure tests are meaningless unless you test for a MINIMUM of 3 minutes.

this machine that youhave see...its minimum for 3 minutes the test..all my reps stayed in there for 5 minutes...

>>>..somy dear frien you are saying that if somebody gave you a rep watch no waterproof and the same rep waterproof you will go with the first watch?for me its very important the waterproof for every of my watches!My best regards!<<<

Huh?

I think you may have responded to my question with the above reply by mistake (seeing that it has nothing to do with what I asked).

Of course I would rather have waterproof instead of not waterproof, what I was asking though is why on Earth do you shower with ANY watch on? Or sleep with ANY watch on? Is it because you are afraid someone will steal your watch or something? I just cannot think of ANY good reason to take a shower with a watch on, I don't care if it is real or fake or anything else... it just makes no sense to me so I was wondering why you do it.

Mind you, I silicon grease all my gaskets & o-rings the second I get the rep, but I've gone swimming in every rep I've ever owned--even before I bought the Bergeon--with complete success. I shower in my EL Sub daily. If you've properly looked at the watch for the obvious (crown screwed down, crystal sits even, case-back is tight, etc.) you should be able to tell straight from the box that it's safe enough for shallow water swimming--not deep, and not lap. I've still yet to find one of mine that didn't pass 5 bars after I bought my tester; I think most models are built a lot better than people assume they are.

Quick edit: I'll add that I feel this primarily applies to the sportier models; simply because of their basic design & construction (e.g., thicker crystals & cases, screw-down crowns, screw-down backs) they're going to be more water-tight than the more delicate looking watches (most of your Pateks, VCs, Glasshuttes, IWCs, etc.), which are a gentleman's watch and weren't intended to swim anyway.

i have not done ANYTHING to my reps, no frease, no 0 rings. I shower and swim with them. Never had a problem