When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 mk4 dial for 5514 project, rep or gen?!

quaresma7

Hi Guys!!

I'm thinking about use that dial in 5514 project. I have to see in Chrono24 a 5514 and think It's the same like this.

http://www.chrono24.es/rolex/submariner-5514-comex--id2468175.htm?id=2468175&picnum=0&tab=pics

But What do You think, is it gen or rep?! And second question Can I use for 5514 with no Comex dial.

All comments are welcome!

DSC_2312_zps597f37a2.jpg

DSC_2313_zps1f5ede82.jpg

DSC_2314_zps9b2a375f.jpg

DSC_2315_zpsf0b6520b.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!  ;)

Imo not gen, the back of the plate looks really strange, the position of the feet are correct and that little hole but it's not a genuine rolex plate. The dial print is not crisp, there are spots where the paint is too thin like middle of the coronet.. Print up close looks bad, rolex print is crisp. Here's a comparo with the dial you showed from chrono24

You may not be able to tell but trust me the print is not rolex quality.

Run

post-38788-0-72842500-1383747832_thumb.j

Originally, without seeing the back, I thought this was a gen dial. But the back looks new/aftermarket.

Like Ubi, I also used a ft 1st in my pre-Comex, but the cross in the t should be a bit higher than the cross in the f for a pre-Comex (at least that is the way they are on the 2 gens that I am aware of), which this dial does not have.

Looks like the guys over at vrf think it's gen, I've never seen print quality like that on a rolex dial until now! Sorry again op! Strange though that some mk11 dials have sharp print and some don't.. Almost like a big batch had printing that bled but rolex said ah well put them into watches anyhow.. Weird

After much back and forth btw here and vrf I decided this dial is gen and won it, like I said I would. A bit more than I wanted to pay but for an mkII I think it's a good deal. Can always unload it on vrf if need be but I plan on using this for my 5514 despite that fact that it's technically incorrect.

Thanks for the info, anyone have a set if NOS tritium hands now????