When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Glue For Watches

sailboat641

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly sure myself, but I have seen others use the verb 'to loctite' when referring to sticking something in place. Hopefully this reply bumps it up and gets a response from someone considerably more experienced as I too have just discovered a rather wobbly insert. :)

Not exactly sure myself, but I have seen others use the verb 'to loctite' when referring to sticking something in place. Hopefully this reply bumps it up and gets a response from someone considerably more experienced as I too have just discovered a rather wobbly insert. :)

tiny tiny dabs of high temp hot glue....then hold it close to a hot light and press down...it hardens in seconds to a very strong bond.

I'm not sure I'd count on GS Hypo to secure anything on the outside of the case. I just don't think that it has enough bond strength to be effective. It is great for crystals (which already have a tight physical fit), dial markers, etc.

id guess it would be very much a case of suck it and see.

bezel inserts on subs should be pressure fit anyways requiring no adhesive. as such if you want to keep in there just a little better it can work well. i prefer some clear nail varnish on the underside if it needs something.

for something requiring the glue to be the only source of securing then you could be right

I would use GS Hypo Cement on bezel inserts anytime.

Its great not only for tight fit bezels, but super for sloppy loose bezels also.

Bridges those gaps and really holds well.

Available at any good hobby store.

To each their own...

Personally, I've had GS Hypo fail on both loose fit crystals, and bezel inserts. You can scrape off the dried residue with your fingernail.

I've never had it fail on a dial marker, chrono hands, movement foils, etc. It's excellent stuff, in the right application.

For heavy-duty exterior bonding, I recommend 1) a thin layer of Shoe Goo for fixes that are semi-permanent, or 2) Devcon clear 2-part epoxy for permanent bonds.

Hypo cement has failed me on many times as well with anything but crystal installs...

Just this weekend, while doing home reno's with my recently aligned bezel on my SMP Chrono, the bezel flew out from the shock of hammering... this is the second time this has happended...

I use only structural epoxy from now on, dont' trust the GS for inserts anymore...

RG

I tried GS hypo cement for bezel insert and also had it coming off. The first time after I used the cement, I bumped the watch against a desk and it came off. So I figure I didn't use enough. I ended up using too much and the bezel insert was almost even with the top of crystal. Definitely unacceptable. I though I would have a hard time getting the bezel insert off now to reglue. But I only needed to tap the bezel edge with the back of a screw driver and it came flying off! As a temporary fix, I used the hypo cement again. It will be reglue as soon as I find something better that don't have "body" and add height to the bezel insert.

Hypo cement has failed me on many times as well with anything but crystal installs...

Just this weekend, while doing home reno's with my recently aligned bezel on my SMP Chrono, the bezel flew out from the shock of hammering... this is the second time this has happended...

I use only structural epoxy from now on, dont' trust the GS for inserts anymore...

RG

I'm with The Zigmeister on this. I even epoxy my GENUINE inserts in even though they are a snap in fit. Cost of losing a bezel insert is too much!!!!!!