When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP Sub cyclops removal

derik429

I've done it before with a butane lighter, but it's advisable to completely remove the crystal from the case, as if it heats too much and expands in the case while removing the cyclops, the compression from the expansion will crack the crystal (had this happen) All good fun though :good::drinks:

I was going to try this method. I'm thinking just a two second hold or something should be fine? After its heated, can you take it off with your finger?

I have a bit of a phobia of heated objects, so I held the far edge of the crystal using a t-shirt, and used the edge of a table knife to flick the cyclops off. I heated it in two second bursts till it eventually heated enough to pop off :good::drinks:

Cool! I personally think it looks cleaner without. Are you happy you took it off?

I was pleased when I first did it, but the last few watches I bought which had cyclopses, I actually left in place, but it's all a matter of personal preference :good::drinks:

I've done a few times with a mini butane torch. I hold the cyclops in the hottest part of the flame and it flashes red hot quite quickly. Most times you get a little puff of smoke as the glue underneath vaporizes. I then immediately remove with a razor blade. I use a lacquer thinner to remove what is left of the glue on the crystal. You have to be diligent as the glue is stubborn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Use one of those big red candle lighters. Put a small piece of cardbord around the edge of the crystal, side opposite of the cyclops, and hold it with a small pair of pliers. The cardboard keeps the pliers form absorbing the heat from the crystal. Heat it under the cyclops for about a minute or until you see the cyclops pop. Then push it off, lay the crystal down and let it cool. Clean the residue with a single edge razor blade, windex the crystal, your done

Edited by mymanmatt