When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

X-box360?

Admin

Funny T, but the wife is out of town this weekend and I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow :lol:

:lol: well, now I am laughing...exact same reason I picked up mine..... Being home alone and surfing the net for cool stuff can be expensive :)

Yeah...I got HDTV, gears of war (and Pro evolution soccer) and it looks awesome...but I got to admit...after playing A LOT of counterstrike a couple of years ago, FPS games are a lot better on a PC....But GOW is still cool....Haven't tried the co-op modus online yet.

I was actually worried about the noise but after reading all the x-box forum posts (It's only the dvd-drive that makes noise) I bought it....but I gotta admit...still a noisy piece of equipment....might have to do some more modifications than flash the dvd-drive with new ROM ;)

Anybody want to share their gametag, feel free to pm me and I'll see if I can hook up with you guys on Live some day :)

I'd wait for the PS3... It comes with BlueRay which is with out doubt gonna kick Microsofts HD down the drain.

Why wait? Experience has showed that it takes ab out a year from the console is released before the programmers and developers start making games that really use some of the potential in the boxes. Also, the PS3 is extremely pricey. Personally I haven't seen any demonstrations of blye-ray or HD-DDV, but the specs on both looks equally impressive. Also, if you ask me, the 360 got better specs all over than the PS3. Guess only time will show if it is a better console ;)

Blu-ray Vs HD-DVD?

Blu-ray players cost twice as much (more than twice as much in this country), and use the same video and audio codecs at identical resolutions to HD-DVD. I think i'll have the cheaper option.

The ONLY plus point Blu-ray has, is storage capacity.

If you haven't seen HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, you'll be amazed. It's so much better than US HDTV broadcasts (and superior H.264 European HDTV broadcasts) it almost unbelievable.

I've got an Xbox360... big fan. GoW is a great game. Going to pick up Rainbow Six: Vegas tomorrow, I just can't put that one off.... My gamer tag?... look to the left there... same as my forum name.

Sadly I don't spend that much time on live ATM... I'm hopelessly addicted to Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion at this time.

And my .02usd on the PS3 v X360 v Wii thing.... I'll buy em all eventually. The Wii is on the Xmas list. I'll probably get the PS3 in about year when games worth playing come out. I actually had the 60g version for about 18 hours on the release date... Resistance was a good game, but its the only good game at this time. And I got an offer for the PS3 I couldn't refuse... I'll happily plod along with my X360 (and hopefully a Wii if the wife comes through on xmas) for the foreseeable future.

after playing A LOT of counterstrike a couple of years ago, FPS games are a lot better on a PC....

I spent a good few years playing CS probably 8+ hours a day 6-7 days a week... I got off work at 11pm or so, shower and off to the office where kept my gaming pc in the back (to take advantage of the office DSL) and usually the thing that stopped me was the sun comming up... about 10am off to bed, back up at 4 to go to work and repeat.

I once added up all the hours I spent playing CS... at minimum wage I could have earned enough to buy a new car.

might have to do some more modifications than flash the dvd-drive with new ROM ;)

Firmware ;)

I have modded all my consoles since the PSX (thanks to goldenfinger for getting me started) and the only thing stopping me from getting the 360 and modding it is that I am convinced MS will start banning as soon as they feel comfortable against he PS3... which I think will be any time this year :( And Live is a huge part of the 360 experience if you ask me.

But all it's gonna take is one good sale and I think my resolve will die... just upgraded my projector and 720p 95 inch screen is just screaming for something better than my OG xbox...

It's true... PS3 is more expensive than X-Box 360!!! But the X-box doesn't come with HD... you have to buy an external one which will probably cost you around 200$.

It's also true that the difference between Blu-Ray and HD is the size. HD can contain 30GB and Blu-Ray can contain 50GB. But the developer TDK has just introduced a Blu-Ray media that can contain 200GB!!! More than 6 times the size of HD!!!

At this years IFA-fair in Berlin you could barely take one step without bumping into Blu-Ray. All the major developers where showing of players, medias and other Blu-Ray products while the rival HD where almost invisible. Actually it was only Toshiba who where showing of HD-products.

Almost the entire movie-industri is also betting on Blu-Ray. Latest Paramount (who originally supported HD) has gone over to HD. Today seven of the major studios support Blu-Ray while there's only three supporting HD.

Ofcourse there's Microsoft and Intel who still supports HD, but their two major customers Dell and HP is both supporting Blu-Ray.

With the X-Box it could become a problem that it doesn't support HDMI with HDCP-copyprotection, which will probably become a must in every standard home-theater.

Maybe what we'll see is hybrid-players that can play both standards like dvd+r and dvd-r. But my money is still on Blu-Ray.

Lets get back to the subject in a couple of years... then we can see who's won :lol:

Seriously rongoms.... just go away!!!

I'll stack mine right next to all the other Sony-proprietary formats that have dies by the side of the road.

Like CDs. Whatever happened to those? Oh, wait ...

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD? It's far, far too soon to call one of them dead. I'm slightly biased towards Blu-Ray, but it'd be a fool that locks into either technology this soon. Seeing as the source content is more important than the medium, and the content works on either, I'd say a battle between the two will be entertaining and good for the consumer.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge gamer (And it sounds like you are). I don't have a either an X-box or a PS. My main concern on the matter is only due to the format Blu-ray or HD. Whether one is better than the other when it comes to gaming, online-gaming and so on I don't know much about. But isn't the X-box 360 more than a gaming console? Isn't also a dvd-player, a mediacenter and sofort?

You know way more than me when it comes to gaming... no doubt about it. And X-box might win the gamingwar. But IMO they'll never win the HD vs. Blu-ray battle - Never!!

And hey... I havn't read one of the marketing docs from SONY that you refer to. I was at the IFA-fair in Berlin and saw only Blu-Ray (Toshiba as an exception). Other than that I've read a few articles... and a few of the standard marketing propaganda docs from Microsoft ;-)

Maybe HD will win when it comes to games... but I seriously doubt that they'll have any success other than that.

But please, by all means... invest your money in HD. I'll invest mine in Blu-Ray and see a crystal clear image of HD dying.

Sony is shuch a pain in the ass to work with on ANYTHING, that i'll be very surprised if there are more than a few blu-ray branded devices two years from now.

I don't have any dog in this fight, but as Murdoch mentioned, Sony has a bunch of partners on board already, so perhaps they're not as hard to work with as they used to be.

If I were betting on which format would win, I'd go with HD, but it's a crapshoot. With the way that the PS3 has come out of the gates, Blu-Ray has gotten off to a head start.