When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Navitimer update

andyr

I have just collected a genuine dial, genuine slide rule insert, gen handset, gen date wheel (all 6-9-12 Old Navitimer II) and a Swiss ETA 7750, with the intention of transplanting them into a "Fighters" case. This case looks like a better option but I'm just wondering if the gen stuff will fit.

I have just collected a genuine dial, genuine slide rule insert, gen handset, gen date wheel (all 6-9-12 Old Navitimer II) and a Swiss ETA 7750, with the intention of transplanting them into a "Fighters" case. This case looks like a better option but I'm just wondering if the gen stuff will fit.

Depends on which version of the fighters you've got. I believe the older ones will work but the new versions won't.

Depends on which version of the fighters you've got. I believe the older ones will work but the new versions won't.

I have the original low-beat Fighters which has already been fitted with a Swiss 7750 and gen dial (shaved) by The Zigmeister a few years ago. I also have one of the high-beat Fighters that has the non-sync slide rule - it appears to be the same case but with better bevel / chamfer on the lugs. I could use either case, although I would prefer to sell the one that's already modded to help fund the next one. I was thinking that by using a gen slide rule the dial wouldn't need to be shaved to fit and also the slide rule would sync with the dial properly.

I believe the gen slide rule insert is too big for the case. As for the two cases being the same, I don't believe they are. I think the positioning of the stem hole is slightly higher or lower on the new ones. 

And i find it interesting that Zig had to shave the dial. On the earliest 6-9-12 Navi reps, the genuine dial dropped right in. On the 3-6-9 Navis the dial needed to be shaved down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was chatting to Andrew @TrustyTime regarding the most recent Navitimer 01. Obviously it is much improved but has a couple of big issues in the form of the low-beat movement and sunken date wheel.

There has been speculation of a new version and the timings given have been reducing every time they've been mentioned. This has led me to think maybe we genuinely are about to receive the most awesome Navi ever! I thought I'd ask Andrew straight, here's the conversation, I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it.

I should also mention that I was asking off the back of an order for the current Navi so it was definitely in his interests NOT to mention a new release and secure a sale of the current one which he has now lost (temporarily)...

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Dommysam wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I just heard that there is a 28,800 version of this Navitimer with the sunken date wheel issue fixed due out in the next few months. I assume this will be based on a 7753 movement.

-------

On 23 Feb 2014, at 01:13 am, Trusty Time Admin <trustytime@gmail.com> wrote:

No.. Thats not true because Asia 7753 cannot have the date change at the crown at all.

Andrew

---

On Feb 23, 2014, at 15:59, Dommysam wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I know but I heard on RepGeek that the high beat version was coming soon. Apparently someone heard it from you and Josh @Perfect Clones?

Not having a quick date set would be fine for most people if they got a perfect Navi!

Dom

---

On 23 Feb 2014, at 08:09 am, TTW888 Admin - Andrew <trustytime@gmail.com> wrote:

Its a project by Joshua and myself for the Navitimer. More details will be released later. Thanks

Regards, Andrew

---

On Feb 23, 2014, at 16:21, Dommysam wrote:

Hi Andrew,

That sounds very interesting!

What sort of timeframe are we looking at?

Dom

---

On 23 Feb 2014, at 09:34 am, TTW888 Admin - Andrew <trustytime@gmail.com> wrote:

It should be out maybe in 1-2 months time. Many thanks

Andrew

---

On Feb 23, 2014, at 16:40, Dommysam wrote:

Thanks for confirming Andrew, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain!

So, just to be sure, will this new version be a high beat? Which movement and will it use and will there be any improvement to the sunken date wheel?

Dom

---

On 23 Feb 2014, at 11:49 am, TTW888 Admin - Andrew <trustytime@gmail.com> wrote:

It will be a high beat movement. We will have a surprise for all. Thanks

Regards, Andrew

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for sharing!

I'm actually slightly disappointed. I thought if it was being done by the factory, they might also reduce the size of the sub dials which are too large by about 1-1.5mm. Never mind, improved date wheel is better than nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by luc717

I have the feeling they may be working on a 6-9-12 model. All the parts are already there, so it wouldn't be overly difficult. But for those of you that haven't been around in a while, 1 or 2 months usually translated to 1 or 2 years ;)

Edited by andreww

The serie special was all wrong. It should have had a brushed case, domed crystal, beefier bezel. Not to mention the numerous spelling mistakes on the back. But that watch was a great platform for building an Old Navitimer. All it took was a gen dial and a breitling datwheel. The did build Old Navitimers for a bit but they only came in two tone gold/ss and had the wrong caseback, wrong date font, no AR, and misaligned slide rule.

This is a gen Serie Speciale

034.jpg

This is an Old Navitimer

breitling-navitimer-br7948.jpg

As you can see, the case and hands are identical to what we have already. Do a decent dial, and use a datewheel from a Skyland and you are golden. That's why I think this might be J&A's surprise. When they do projects like this the generally use parts that already exist to build something new. 

I'd love a serie speciale fighters edition. I've waited so long that if even accept a misspelled one. Just hoped a great homage version would've been released by now. Oh well

I have the original low-beat Fighters which has already been fitted with a Swiss 7750 and gen dial (shaved) by The Zigmeister a few years ago. I also have one of the high-beat Fighters that has the non-sync slide rule - it appears to be the same case but with better bevel / chamfer on the lugs. I could use either case, although I would prefer to sell the one that's already modded to help fund the next one. I was thinking that by using a gen slide rule the dial wouldn't need to be shaved to fit and also the slide rule would sync with the dial properly.

The high-beat fighters case has the same sunken datewheel problem as the 3-6-9 Navis of the era. It's the same case. There's no transfer plate, but they put a spacer on top of the movement to raise the dial up.

I am new to this ; well I only have a dozen watches so I am in the embryonic stages of collecting :-)

I REALY want a Navitimer rep ; does this news mean that the current top spec Navitimer is not worth getting ; as far as I can tell from reading the main issue seems to just be around a sunken date ?

Thx

Steve

• 4 weeks later...