When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BR03 Type Aviation minute hand fell off

gsiguy

I just received a BR03 type aviation (the "1:1" model) from a TD and when I unwrapped it, the minute hand was not attached and just floundering around within the watch. Really disappointed with the quality of such an expensive rep. Surprisingly flimsy...

My disappointment aside, I have not requested for an exchange yet as I loathe the thought of a long wait and the possibility that it would be lost. So I'm wondering if this will be an easy fix for a watchsmith.

Hi mate

On these it would be a simple fix... and one you might even manage yourself if you feel confident enough to do it...but certainly dont bother sending it back... it does happen and is part of the game..frustrating i know mte and very annoying but it happens and can happen even to gen watches travelling in postage... did you get QC pics OOI?

But make sure if you can that it is simply fallen off...

Have you any local guys that could or would do it ..Do you know?

If you need to send away then if it is out of your country probably best to wait till after Xmas now with high volumes of post etc.. :)

If you know no one local and dont want to consider trying it yourself then maybe there might be a member close or in same country as you that might be able to help...

Do you know any members from the forums near you or in same country? If not then where are you located?

Hi PeteM, thanks for that reassuring response. Yes, I got QC pics. In fact, I rejected the first one cos of marks I see on the case. The second one's QC pics seemed ok. I'm certainly gonna try to get it done by a local watchsmith, if possible, and seek concessions thereafter from TD. TD has suggested I go to a particular mall with quite a few watchshops. I'm asking him to be specific about which shop. Fingers crossed about getting a good resolution for this... You reckon I should ask him for a discount with my next purchase to take into account the repair cost? Is that "kosher"?

Hi Ssteel, I'm in Singapore. The watch came with another 3 watches and looked fine in the QC. The other watched seemed to be ok save for a Chopard MM XL chrono where the plate with the engraved map attached to the centre of the case back fell off. Which brings me to my next question... How do you glue the engraved plate back on the case back securely?

I just don't seem to have any luck with this TD. Had to send a Rollie project 6241 back to him cos they gave me the one with the wrong dial and the bezel insert came off. It's been awhile and it's still not reached the Chinese address yet...

Hi PeteM, thanks for that reassuring response. Yes, I got QC pics. In fact, I rejected the first one cos of marks I see on the case. The second one's QC pics seemed ok. I'm certainly gonna try to get it done by a local watchsmith, if possible, and seek concessions thereafter from TD. TD has suggested I go to a particular mall with quite a few watchshops. I'm asking him to be specific about which shop. Fingers crossed about getting a good resolution for this... You reckon I should ask him for a discount with my next purchase to take into account the repair cost? Is that "kosher"?

Hi Ssteel, I'm in Singapore. The watch came with another 3 watches and looked fine in the QC. The other watched seemed to be ok save for a Chopard MM XL chrono where the plate with the engraved map attached to the centre of the case back fell off. Which brings me to my next question... How do you glue the engraved plate back on the case back securely?

I just don't seem to have any luck with this TD. Had to send a Rollie project 6241 back to him cos they gave me the one with the wrong dial and the bezel insert came off. It's been awhile and it's still not reached the Chinese address yet...

No probs mate :)

I would suggest if you find or use a strange place... that you stay with it if you can mayb booked his time and return with it so you can..but I am sure that there will be guys that can help you on this forum as many guys are from where you are... but sinmaster is a modder there if you have no joy locally...

As for discount..most dealers try to avoid that if they can and never haggle so to speak :) But assuming you want to use the guy again given your other issues ;) as a discount shouldnt be a big incentive if you may have other concerns.. ;) however it has happened to us all and to most dealers even the ebst of them so its always hard to judge the worth of a dealer on the strength of the watches alone..its more how they respond and communicate after you have raised the problem you have that matters.. to me anyway. ;)

I would probably suggest you ask for free shipping rather than a discount... :)

Which ever way you go mate...good luck :)

Ok, i found a fella in Singapore that had the hand installed.  Problem with the BR03 Type Aviation is that (i think) the hands are set in synch with the digital display.  He could therefore not accurately align the hands (by setting it at 12 o'clock). So now it's abit off.  And since the watch is new, i haven't had time to read the manual yet.  So i'll need to go back to again once i find out how to set the time at 12 midnight/noon, so that the hands can be aligned properly.

Btw, does anyone have any experience with the 1;1 model?  I noticed (after the minute hand was reattached) that minute hand jumps rather than sweeps.  Is this correct for the 1:1 model?

• 7 months later...

BUMP

It is a correct behaviour as it's a quartz and in this specific model the minute has a step every 30 seconds.

You also can align the hands without going to a watchsmith I suppose. Normally these movements have a way to align them without waiting midnight or midday.