When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a Tudor Blue Snowflake - Help with Dial identification and Update!

marrickvilleboy

Hi all,

So I have been doing a bit of research but no doubt will benefit from the experts here.

Here's my parts list please add your comments:

- Case and bracelet = Cartel 1680 (likely Trusty)  Done

- Dial = Yuki - is this currently the best version?)  Gone with genuine dial

- Hands = mix of Yuki and ebay sellers to get closer length  From ebay

- Movement = eta 2783 (the better version would be the 2784 but they did use the slow beat in the genuine albeit rarer)  ETA 2783 Done

- Bezel insert = ebay? I have yet to find a good version that reflects the color aside form genuine

- Crown = ebay replacement crown and tube (I dont see a need for a genuine one)  Shaved down existing crown - still a touch too big but i'll live with it.

A couple of clarifications:

- The dial feet of the yuki dial (for eta 28xx) doesn't line up with the 2783 dial feet position it seems - can someone please confirm or have found a solution aside from cutting the feet off?  genuine dial fits 2783

- Would love to put a roulette date wheel or even a full red one, anyone know if thats possible to find? fk it - too much trouble

- Caseback to be sent to JNB to have it stamped.

Am i missing anything else?

thanks in advance,

With the Cartel case you'll want to thin down the crown to make it look better with the short CGs. Try for the 702 look. If you can find one, the old MBW triplock crown is "thick" enough that you can mill off the inner edge to form a bevel, and that looks really nice plus you have a tube already.

This is my trusty 1680 into blue snowflake build ! my dial is a mahand from ebay and it fitted my 2783 , 2783 and 2784 the movements are identical apart from one part but i think that the 2784 is a higher beat , check out my blue snowflake build post

post-27094-0-38370200-1386698913_thumb.j

this shot shows the insert i heated it up on a gas stove for short time

this dulled down the shiny insert and gives a matt finish  

the other photo has the old insert that was replaced

post-27094-0-44781400-1386699014_thumb.j

This is the super JMB engraving !

post-27094-0-30461700-1386699206_thumb.j

Good luck ! see my post for details

here is a quick spec rundown

1680 trusty case

eta 2783

yukiwatch tudor rotor

JMB engraving on backcase

clark crystal t-20

gen tube and crown 24-703 

dial from mahand ebay seller

insert wholesale outlets ebay 

rafflestime snowflake hands  

Edited by aeromatic
  • Like 1

Oh and i almost forgot the trusty 1680 case will not fit a gen size dial which is 26mm we had to make a mod by making a thin stainless steel ring to seat the dial as the opening was also 26mm (meaning that the dial would fall through )

you can see the ring under the rehaunt in this shot ! but when viewing the watch face on it just looks like part of the rehaunt 

post-27094-0-82360500-1386700140_thumb.j

cartel cases are usualy made with 29mm dials

Edited by aeromatic

Also, 

what if I used a 6mm crown? would that help and be the quicker solution?

$(KGrHqIOKpME6eBd+CBiBO)L3wS9Ow~~60_1.JP !

the 6mm crown will not work and a cartel crown is too wide you will have to have it milled from the inside (stem side) to make it thinner i use gen crowns 703 type but best is the 702 but hard to find and expensive too!

Here's a link showing the results FXRandy got when he did his.  You'll have to search deeper to find his actual process.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/153831-anyone-modded-a-rep-crown/?p=1181013

AFAIK the MBW crown is the only one this works on, as its walls are much thicker than a gen 703.  So when you grind a bevel there's still metal there.  Someone also went to the effort of shortening a 703 tube to let the thinned crown screw down closer to the case.  That takes some major cojones.  :notworthy:

I built mine from a 1680 I bought from Sora / Shine Watch.  I started with an A2824, but I have since installed an ETA 2824-2.  I'm on my second dial, because the first one was just too light blue.  I also added a Yuki rotor.  The insert is from ebay, and I had to shave it down to fit the bezel.  I am still looking for an engraved caseback.

First dial with yellow lume:

4i58.jpg

0a57.jpg

New dial with white lume:

ol67.jpg

Movement and Yuki rotor:

5dl6.jpg

• Like 1

This is my trusty 1680 into blue snowflake build ! my dial is a mahand from ebay and it fitted my 2783 , 2783 and 2784 the movements are identical apart from one part but i think that the 2784 is a higher beat , check out my blue snowflake build post

attachicon.gifbezel insert fading experiment 009 (3).JPG

this shot shows the insert i heated it up on a gas stove for short time

this dulled down the shiny insert and gives a matt finish  

the other photo has the old insert that was replaced

attachicon.gifTUDOR snowflake 94010 057.JPG

This is the super JMB engraving !

attachicon.gifblack bay tropic & 6538 090.JPG

Good luck ! see my post for details

here is a quick spec rundown

1680 trusty case

eta 2783

yukiwatch tudor rotor

JMB engraving on backcase

clark crystal t-20

gen tube and crown 24-703 

dial from mahand ebay seller

insert wholesale outlets ebay 

rafflestime snowflake hands  

Look nice! I read your original thread already

quick follow up question if you don't mind.

Did you have to cut the dial feet off the Yuki dial to fit it to the 2783? I heard the dial feet position don't line up - can you confirm?

Look nice! I read your original thread already

quick follow up question if you don't mind.

Did you have to cut the dial feet off the Yuki dial to fit it to the 2783? I heard the dial feet position don't line up - can you confirm?

No i did not cut the dial feet because the dial is made for the tudor snowflake and fits the eta movements 2824-2 and also fit the 2783 but having said that i purchased a dial that is made for eta movement and the feet are 1 minute off so i have to cut them !

I built mine from a 1680 I bought from Sora / Shine Watch.  I started with an A2824, but I have since installed an ETA 2824-2.  I'm on my second dial, because the first one was just too light blue.  I also added a Yuki rotor.  The insert is from ebay, and I had to shave it down to fit the bezel.  I am still looking for an engraved caseback.

First dial with yellow lume:

0a57.jpg

New dial with white lume:

Movement and Yuki rotor:

My first wholesale outlet insert was too big to fit in the bezel and was damaged slightly trying to fit it i ordered a second one from them and it fit perfect , super build you have there ! i too would love a date tudor sub ! Why dont you ask member JMB to engrave your back case he made a super job of it !

Edited by aeromatic

No i did not cut the dial feet because the dial is made for the tudor snowflake and fits the eta movements 2824-2 and also fit the 2783 but having said that i purchased a dial that is made for eta movement and the feet are 1 minute off so i have to cut them !

haha your answer was a little confusing...you said you didn't cut the feet at the start but said you cut the feet at the end of the sentence?

Let me rephrase if my question wasn't clear, I have a 2783 movement, if I order a yuki dial, would I have to cut the feet to fit it? (accounting for stem alignment, etc)

thanks again!

My first wholesale outlet insert was too big to fit in the bezel and was damaged slightly trying to fit it i ordered a second one from them and it fit perfect , super build you have there ! i too would love a date tudor sub ! Why dont you ask member JMB to engrave your back case he made a super job of it !

Thanks aeromatic.  My insert fit the bezel, but was too tight to fit around the crystal.  I had to trim the inner edge a bit to get it to fit.  I do need to PM JMB and see if he will engrave my caseback, but mine is all kinds of scratched up.

haha your answer was a little confusing...you said you didn't cut the feet at the start but said you cut the feet at the end of the sentence?

Let me rephrase if my question wasn't clear, I have a 2783 movement, if I order a yuki dial, would I have to cut the feet to fit it? (accounting for stem alignment, etc)

thanks again!

What i said was i purchased a dial that the feet were 1mm off the dial has nothing to do with tudor it is a 5513 dial that was made for eta movement, your dial should not need the feet cutting , what i was meaning to say that there are some dials may not align up with the movement when buying parts from different sellers you can not be sure they will marry up . these kind of builds are trial and error

having said that my flake sub has eta 2783 and fitted up the my gen spec mahand dial without cutting the feet 

sorry i should have made it more clear that the dial i cut the feet off was not the tudor and 2783 movement i was giving an example of what sometimes happens !  Good Luck with your build !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think that's a black dial that's always been black. take it out in bright direct sunlight and see what it looks like if it's still that dark, it's black.Have to see them in bright light, because when the light is dimmer, the dials look black

Here is my genuine 9411/0 Blue for a reference. Two photos same watch, same dial, different light. if the second photo were a little darker, the dial would definitely look black, but you can see a touch of blue, but it's not as blue as the first photo.

post-327-0-25672600-1388779208_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-28623800-1388779440_thumb.jpg