When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Possible movement issue in my 3717

netniet

I have a ETA Swiss valjoux 7750 25 jewel movement in my 3717, which I don't wear that often. The issue I have with this movement is when I have wound the watch via the gen crown, and screw the crown back in, it seems to still winding the watch. I can hear the same sound as when I am winding the watch, and it feels the same. What could be wrong?

Do you mean it winds while screwing the crown back in, or after it is screwed in (i.e. it never screws in completely)?

If the former, isn't that how an ETA 7750 normally functions? That seems to be the case on my Sinn 956 Klassik (gen).

Yup, it still winds while screwing the crown back in. I rarely wear this watch, and it is currently my only ETA 7750 watch, so I can't remember anymore if its correct behaviour, or not. But to me, it seems wrong (comparing it to my Rollies).

You state yours has a genuine crown?  I take it the genuine tube was fitted too?  Photo of genuine, and rep tubes..

Genuine on the right. (It's my own photo)

SANY2673_zpsaa2a6a4a.jpg

When you unscrew the crown, it should pop out to the winding position.  The crown itself has a spring in it, that enables this.  Whilst screwing the crown down, its quite normal to wind the movement whilst doing so.  I have a franken, with genuine parts, an IWC 3717 just like yours, and its ETA7750 is a Tissot movement.

No problems at all in it doing this.  The only issue I had was the Tissot stem was too thick to accept the genuine IWC crown which was quite odd to me, but there's a first time for everything.  I managed to fit another ETA 7750 stem to it no problem though.

Edited by SSTEEL