When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Josh/Cartel 1680 rehaut diameter?

Akira

Akira my puretime 1680 was the redsub one with 2846 eta i used this for my old 5513 build and fitted a 26mm gen spec dial without modding ,  but my blue snowflake sub build was a trusty 1680 again the 2846 eta version this one did not fit and i had to fit a thin stainless steel ring or washer to make up the difference as the rehaunt was also 26mm same as my snowflake dial

these differences tell me that trusty and puretime were different makers or versions

Can someone tell me the rehaut diameter of the Josh 1680?

http://www.p-cls.com/rlsv01015-vintage-1680-subalternative-swiss-2846-p-8531.html

Regards,

post-27094-0-59145100-1389012944_thumb.j

This is puretimes 1680 without modding

post-27094-0-33641300-1389012667_thumb.j

This is trustys 1680 with added thin ring 

modded to fit a 26mm dial in a 26mm rehaunt you can just make out the ring between the dial and rehaunt to the naked eye it just looks like part of the rehaunt

Here is a better photo showing in detail

post-27094-0-25285600-1389013142_thumb.j

Some more photos of these two watches

post-27094-0-36738000-1389013329_thumb.j

post-27094-0-58461700-1389013949_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

Where did you get the thin spacer ring? Do you know the dimensions? I have that issue right now with a yuki dial in the 2846 josh version.

Thanks!

This ring was made specifically for the case we have used also home made plastic ring made from those plastic A4 folders you can even find the same colour as your dial of paint it the same we even used a transparent ring , fitted like a gasket the ring can protect the dial from accidental knocks that can chip the dial edge, from the sharp Rehaunt edges i had this happen when my watch strap came apart and i dropped my watch ruining an expensive refinished dial

The ring has to be made to fit the Rehaunt lip and make up the space between the dial and larger Rehaunt diam. so the dial is fits safely .

Edited by aeromatic

I'm actually measuring a two week old Josh 1680 A2836 (RLSV01004) right now:

The rehaut opening is 25.4 mm. There's a slightly recessed area for the dial, that's 26.2 mm, so a 26 mm dial (such as the Yuki snowflake I have here) fits perfectly.

A 26.5 mm dial would probably need to be shaved.

• Like 1

The rehaut opening is 25.4 mm. There's a slightly recessed area for the dial, that's 26.2 mm, so a 26 mm dial (such as the Yuki snowflake I have here) fits perfectly.

Must be the same 1680 version puretime i used as my first 5513 build 26mm dial fit in perfectly /

• 2 months later...

As I just received a 26.5 mm dial I can confirm this.

Now... do I shave the dial or do I enlarge the recess by .3 mm? Which is easiest, considering I don't own a lathe? What are the dangers of just mounting the dial to a dremel through the center hole and grind away?

Been there. 

Done that.

Almost...   :prop:

I had the same problem a while back with a DW '5513' case...that is really a more or less 1680 spec case. The genspec Yuki 5513 dial was 26.0mm but the dial window opening is also 26.0mm because it is made for a 26.5mm 1680 dial. The 26.0mm 5513 dial is the same size as the dial window opening and mounts about .8mm below the dial seat (!). The .8mm figure is about the same as the thickness of a 1575 date wheel spacer.

Ah-Ha!  :doh:

So...I bought some aluminum flat washers...31.75mm od x 17.55 id x 1.25mm thick...minimum quantity 25! and proceeded to make a spacer 26.5mm id x 27.5 or 28.0mm od x whatever I need to sand it down to (probably .8mm). All went well after spending an hour roughing it to size, and then on the final cut...the cutting tool caught the fragile spacer and made a figure 8 out of it.

I gave up.

For now anyway.  :wounded1:

Fast forward to today...

I have an MBK 1680 case (that is really a 5513 spec case!) that I am putting a 26.5mm genspec Yuki dial and 1575 in. Sounds pretty easy. 

But Noooooooooooo.

Although the 25.4mm dial window is a bit small for a 1680 dial, the dial window opening can be opened up easily. But it has a shoulder cut in the dial seat to accommodate a 26.0mm od 5513 dial! Because of this shoulder, the 26.5mm 1680 dial will not mount correctly on the dial seat and the stem will not center in the case tube.

It's diabolical.  :animal_rooster:

So...I had to cut the dial seat shoulder out to 26.7mm on the lathe, after spending an hour shaping a damn cutting tool for the job. Tomorrow I will cut the dial window out a hair to allow a little bit more dial to show and remove any burrs left inside the case.

Maybe...  :crazy:

I guess I have some options:

- Get a better case. But I don't have the funds for that atm.

- Trim the case. But that would require access to a lathe.

- Trim the dial. I can probably do that with tools I have, but that would make the dial unusable the day can afford a better case.

- Build a 5513 instead and put the 1680 dial in a drawer for the time being.

Desicions, desicions.

• 2 years later...
On 13 marzo 2014 at 1:35 PM, tanaris said:

I guess I have some options:

- Get a better case. But I don't have the funds for that atm.

- Trim the case. But that would require access to a lathe.

- Trim the dial. I can probably do that with tools I have, but that would make the dial unusable the day can afford a better case.

- Build a 5513 instead and put the 1680 dial in a drawer for the time being.

Desicions, desicions.

@tanaris , i have also a 1680 perfect clones and I'm thinking to improve the dial with yuki or gen..:crazy:

than do you have change the dial ? 

Edited by Dan71
grammar mistake..