When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders

droptopman

Gentleman, I have an old 4 slot winder purchased on the bay--see profile picture.  Still works great just need more room. I did a search on this topic but did not find much.  I have made some orders (BK Sub C v2 and a TC FD YM) and new watches are coming, cannot wait :clap2:  Looking at upgrading and buying a new winder with more slots.  Is there a difference in quality of winders?  Prices range from 250 - 1000.  Looking at this one 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191028232761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 

Any help appreciated.    

I recently replaced and old Steinhausen, I sent the old one back to the company in California for repair. They didn't have parts for the old one,as it was about 12-15 years old. They did offer me a 60% off on any new ones. I bought a 4 watch winder that has storage for 2 more. the new winders have a lifetime warranty on the motors and winding mechanism electronics. This is the one I purchased.

http://www.steinhausenonline.com/automatic-watch-winders/steinhausen-quad-watch-winders/executive-wooden-quad-motor-quad-watch-winder-with-lifetime-warranty-sm481ga-golden-burlwood.html

They, Steinhausen , are pretty slow, seems like it's pretty much like a "mom and pop" operation here in the USA, but I felt like they were very generous to offer me a 60% off deal on and old winder that was probably at least 10 years out of warranty. They could have just as easily said, sorry ,it's old, out of warranty, we have no parts available, do you want us to throw it away or send it back to you!!

That is a beauty the finish looks like one of my humidors which was expensive.  Dig the glass on the front to see the stored watches.  Probably not looking to drop that much coin unless there is a reason for it.  I did some more research and so far outside of looks and the quality of the wood and finish, main difference is the noise factor and durability or the motors.  One I have now was inexpensive but is somewhat noisy.  My main question was around whether the way it turns and how often made a difference to the watch movements or is bad for the movements.  I plan to keep this in my safe where the other one is--drilled a hole to run the cord in so I can keep the watches in the safe (some gens in there) so noise factor and looks is not much of a concern.

Thanks for the information and taking the time to respond.