When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experts, can you identify this pre-daytona case?

photon

6238_zps6150507a.jpg

This was offered on another forum. The seller claims: the crown is gen and a V72 is inside (but, no pics of the movement). Is there any way we can tell the type of movement inside from say for example the sub-dial spacing?

Can you guess who made the case and dial? The case looks different from any of DW's.

Edited by photon

The dial looks like the cartel 6238 dial. It's hard to tell if the pushers are asymmetrical, but if they are, it could be the cartel 6238 with the Venus 175 movement in it where the subdial at 6 o'clock is fixed since the Venus 175 was a bicompax chronograph movement.

If it was a 6238 with the V72 inside, it would be worth at least $2K, if not $3K!

Tell the guy to show you a pic of the movement.

I've built a 6238 w/ the V72 and I can tell you finding a decent dial is next to impossible. Mine came from Phong and it's not that good

2810ad64-6598-4e82-a2cd-e84840b69220_zps

Case is also by Phong.

BTW, if you were able to pick up the cartel 6238 with the Venus 175 inside for $200-300, it would be a good deal- they're not a bad looking rep.

Thank you for the input. Yes, the seller asks 2.5k for this and I don't think people buy this unless the movement pics are shown. This is definitely not the ST19 version that you are referring to, if you carefully look into the T SWISS T print below the bottom subdial. The notch under the pusher on this claimed to be V72 watch is different from those of cartel or DW cases.

ST19 version:

DKCPq.jpg

The gen 6238 doesn't have the notches in the case either.

The dial has no lume dots at 3, 6, and 9 like the gen, that I can see from the pic.

But you can see where Trevor's subdials are closer to the minute track than the Phong or your dial in question.

very interesting!. First thing I'd do with the case is shave those notches off of those lugs! Bezel and the rest of the case looks decent.

This is a 6238 case w/ a 6239 dial- gen

6597b1.jpg

This is a gold 6238- see the little indentitions in the case at the pushers- small

ROLEX20623820oro1.jpg

Here's another gen fr Interwatches

Interwatches-Rolex-62382.jpg

I have two of the A7750 dials but I'm not looking to sell them.

You should be able to still find those watches somewhere. The Chinese have been building that model for 8-10 years now.

One of mine I put in a DW 6239 case, the other is still in the rep case, but the movement was serviced by Ziggy a while back.

I've found those A7750 movements to be a challenge

Old Cartel version

74d73acb-aefd-4ea0-a1ed-a09035e13b9c_zps

Cartel 6238 dial in DW 6239 case

c0fa07fa-e11b-4f7d-bc7e-baa9b4c4ffb2_zps

Cartel 6238 dial in DW 6239 case

c0fa07fa-e11b-4f7d-bc7e-baa9b4c4ffb2_zps

Wow, this dial is pretty good. Are you sure it's A7750 that is under this dial?

Yes, the A7750 used in those rep vintage chronographs is not too dependable. Perhaps, they are HZ mvts because I haven't had any problem with seagull copies (6497, 28xx or the Venus based ST19). In fact there are Seagull versions of 7750 and 7753 and these should be better provided that this company maintains the same QC standard.

Regarding the watch in the OP, my guess is that all the parts (other than the movement) are from Phong. 

All right. Then the movement must be Valjoux 72 since Phong's dials are all for V72 (or am I wrong with this?).

M, I thought this was a Phong dial?

Yes, it's too good to be a cartel dial, I thought. The subdial positions relative to the indices are almost perfect. Nice dial regardless of the maker.

Thanks for clarifying, M!

Yes, it's too good to be a cartel dial, I thought. The subdial positions relative to the indices are almost perfect. Nice dial regardless of the maker.

Looks can be deceiving!  The Phong dial has more detail; unfortunately, those details are (as alligoat points out) mostly wrong.  The overly-bolded "Rolex" and open 6s and 9s are some of the most obvious sins on this dial.  If you're going to pay that much for a 6238 dial from Phong, you might as well go all the way and get one from Minh Quy.  These dials --both the silver and the black-- look fantastic in the website photos.  That said, I don't know of anyone who's actually ordered an MQ 6238 dial.  Let's see if I can scrounge up the funds before the year is over...

Thanks for pointing out the mq site again M- that silver 6238 looks better than the Phong dial, but has the MILE printed on the telemeter track, Phong has BASE, and the gen dials have nothing!

Looking at the OP's original dial, those 6's are jumping out at me now, so I'd agree that it is probably Phong.

Thank you for the extra information for both of you! The bottom line is that the watch listed is not one of those off the shelf reps and it's most likely V72 one.

Lhooq, yes we have talked about his and the problem with MQ dial is (1) too expensive and (2) the metal block on indices:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/162892-available-options-of-dials-for-v72/?hl=%2B6238#entry1269726

... while we were talking about this another one came up:

V72_zps493a01a5.jpg

Thanks for pointing out the mq site again M- that silver 6238 looks better than the Phong dial, but has the MILE printed on the telemeter track, Phong has BASE, and the gen dials have nothing!

Looking at the OP's original dial, those 6's are jumping out at me now, so I'd agree that it is probably Phong.

I actually didn't notice that difference until you pointed it out!  However, I reckoned that the guys making these dials don't just pluck these words out of thin air, so I did a bit of searching.  It looks like both variants are legitimate!

From a VRM listing:

i-79xnSXC.jpg

From James Dowling's website, where Gentleman Jim calls the MILE tachymetre "unusual":

i-qxrWQ3r.jpg

Also note the "-T SWISS T-" on both dials, and the font used for "ROLEX", which are different from the ones you posted, M.  Which dials are older, I wonder? 

I'll go through the tedious task of comparing serial numbers some other time!