When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Suggestions for an Vintage Explorer I project

juicemouse

A 2846 will work for a 5500 case as far as I know. You could also try a 2452, or a 2472 to get a 18,000 bph rate. The date wheel will have to be removed, but there's not much to that.

Excellent, do you know what size ETA movement ring I would need?  Would it be the same ring for both the 2846 and 2452?

There are quite of few of these movements available on the bay but most are marked 'for parts only' or part of actual watches.  I would probably lean toward a donor watch so that I know the movement has not been sitting out in the open, exposed, for who knows how long.  Any opinions, good or bad, on using this approach to procuring a movement?

how hard is it to create an ETA movement ring?  I can model in 3D, has anyone tried to 3D print one?  Is it a matter of measuring the diameter of the gen case and the diameter of the movement, then creating a ring that fills the delta?  What are the square notches for that I see on the rings available on the market?

An eta 2783 is a good choice. It beats at 21,600 bph, not incobolic, and with the calendar disc removed you can set the dial right down on top of the movement. The result will be a stem position as good as if not better than a 2824-2. And, it's about half the price.