When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

EFF Reps

icoopernicus

I want to stop buying reps, I don't know that I can, but I sure do want to. Honestly, a couple grand seems like a small price to pay to avoid the stress and frustration of having to quit wearing a brand new watch because it is BROKEN!

About a year ago, I bought a new Ceramic bezel PO, a beautiful watch. Seen it in the wrist check lately? No? Oh, that must be because it arrived with movement problems but was still wearable for about a month. Next the bracelet clasp failed and the movement problem only got worse. The watch now sits in need of repair that would come close to equalling the cost of replacement.

Yesterday, my new Carrera Day Date arrived, on a bracelet, and the watch looks great. I sized the bracelet, washed the watch and bracelet and put it on. I think I wore it for about 20min when the clasp suddenly opened and parts scattered onto the floor.

post-44290-139410245214.jpg

I was able to recover the parts that fell to the floor but it's not an assembly problem I have to do some metal repair or replace the bracelet.

I sure am glad I got my 20min of use out of this beautiful new watch!

So does this post have a point, or am I just ranting. Okay, I'm totally ranting but I do have a question for you guys.

Can you recommend a glue or apoxy that I could use to perform this repair. Would super glue hold? I would like to repair it as it appears that this is how the clasp is actually manufactured so there must be something I can get a hold of that will do the trick

post-44290-139410289235.jpg

Thanks for listening and I sure hope some of you guys have some experience in this type of repair.

Not good. However gens go wrong too. There are plenty of stories on the gen forums about new gens with problems. At least when it's a rep you know it's only worth a few hundred $$$ not thousands!

Sure, Gens fail too and until the last year I had almost no serious issues with any Reps but in the last year I have only purchased two reps without major issues. in my original post I didn't even mention the DSSD that I purchased because the movement and stripped crown problems that it arrived with are minor and the watch is still wearable. Anyway, like I said, this was mostly a rant, I'm not particularly new to reps and understand that these things happen but it would be nice if, just for a change, they didn't :p

I have owned quite a few replica watches and came to the conclusion a long time ago that a large percentage of them are junk. That being said, I've had the best luck with older style watches with stamped bracelet clasps and pressed on bezels...acrylic and sapphire DJ, 1016. etc. Diver styles with rotating bezels are more trouble with inner and outer bezel fitting problems and now the new 'glide lock' clasp has introduced a whole set of new problems.

Simpler is always better, especially with replicas.

Don't get me started on Asian movements...  :hammer:

It happens unfortunately and we are at the mercy of the dealers or factories to be willing to accept a return to repair it or even hope that it makes it back through the Chinese postal system.

I am a big fan of swapping in a leather strap with my reps now. It beats having to worry about whether the bracelets will give up and having my watch flying half way across the room or street!