When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Milgauss / Oysterquertz franken

bristolmarc

I have been working on this for sometime. Having nabbed a oysterquartz case on ebay at a sensible price...I waited and hunted for a matching bracelet and got one from Germany total cost £400 approx $600. Because the oysterquartz dial is a very rare 28.5mm I delayed getting one and fitted a miyota quartz in with a replica dial...however the date wheel was badly misaligned. So this evening with the benefit of a few large whiskies and an old budget Milgauss replica that had been sitting in my spares box I decided to have a go at merging the two together.

By complete fluke the smooth bezel and the non-date saphire crystal fitted, and so below I present the Osyterquartz Milgauss...a true fantasy original...and bar the floors with the dial...I think it is a nice looking watch!

post-13085-0-95483400-1395631643_thumb.j

post-13085-0-10051400-1395631662_thumb.j

• 7 months later...

Another member contacted me wondering what happened to the OQ project...so here is the update.

After much searching and patience on the bay I managed to find an extremely rare genuine cobalt blue, starburst texture OQ dial with the correct chronometer markings (as the case and strap date from the mid-late 80's) this was fitted with a miyota movement which is the correct ligne and matched the date window perfectly with a very passable font. (found thanks to a previous OQ franken project on here being very informative!) Finished with the correct Clarks sapphire crystal.

The only drawbacks are the miyota movement has a rare hand stack size so I could only source a second hand which is slightly too short and the dial has a little age related foxing which is noticeable in a macro photograph but still looks superb on the wrist in the sun!

... visions of doa movements needing $500 circuit boards and step motors.   :hammer:

I almost bid on an OQ movement a little while back, I'm glad the price got out of hand!

• 3 weeks later...