When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 Bezel Issue

droptopman

Oh and I really love the 59 with the curved tail lights in the fenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those tail lights evolved to the full light from the `56 and `57 partial light and full bezel in the fender, and ran from `58 through `60. In `58 they started the 4 headlight look. Slight differences between `58 - `60, notably lots of chrome on the `58, gone in `59. 

214804.jpg

What a beauty. I like the. 59 and 60 better than the 58 but any would do. I am more knowledgable mid 60's up. Oldest one I owned was a 63 split window 327 4 speed. Favorite is 66-67 but they are just too expensive these days.

Be happy to donate to your fund.... Build me a nice GMT. Kiddin. I have had 12 mint old personal Vettes over the years and a bunch more when I owned a car lot. Lots of personal Camaros and Chevelles too. On the search now for a 68-72 Vette Roadster 4 speed car. Nothing over the top show car but more something nice but that I can drive and do doughnuts with. Had the show cars and end up never driving them because afraid of a rock chip or any little thing that devalues them. I love muscle cars even more than Rolexes.

A gen 6542 would be close to an even swap! 

I've had a `65, `73 and `85. Doughnuts? That makes the ujoints in the IRS shafts sound like little birdies. First hand experience. 

Yep. I wore out my 2001 that way. She had 550 horse to the rear wheels. That was the last one I had sold it last year. Had to replace u joints on both sides...the newer Vettes are awesome cars but just cannot shake the need for a rumbling cam and the smell of gas from a big Holley:). Nice to know there are Vette guys on the forum.

What a beauty. I like the. 59 and 60 better than the 58 but any would do. I am more knowledgable mid 60's up. Oldest one I owned was a 63 split window 327 4 speed. Favorite is 66-67 but they are just too expensive these days.

`65 and `66 are almost identical. Mine was a roadster, two tops, factory side pipes, Nassau blue, 327/300hp 4spd. First year for 4 wheel disc brakes. 

I was in high school from `64 - `68, and a gear head. Chevy guy, but pretty much knew them all. Saw all the great muscle cars when they were brand new.  I worked in a gas station my senior year, when there was no self-serve yet. 

Love the Nassau blue in fact I am looking for that or marina blue for the current one. Bet you wish you still had that sounds awesome. They are pulling big bucks these days.

Crystal looks ok but whole bezel assembly slides on and off easily. As can be seen there is a ridge cut on bottom of bezel but no spring. Crystal is held in by small ridge that slides over the case. I think glue may work but doubt bezel will rotate. Which I really don't care. But going to sell it anyways. I think I will just post it and see what potential buyer wants. Thanks again everyone here are some close upsuhata6es.jpg

ysa2y7ut.jpg

pyjute5y.jpg

Love the Nassau blue in fact I am looking for that or marina blue for the current one. Bet you wish you still had that sounds awesome. They are pulling big bucks these days.

I sold it for $1500 when I went in the service. The 1968 Corvette made the `63 - `67 old! 

Again I'm not sure anymore because of the design difference but I would still say that the spring is there between the bezel and retaining ring... How else is the retaining ring connected to the bezel? If you put two fingers in the inside of the retaining ring and apply pressure, and you are able to spin the bezel around as the retaining ring remains stationary then there's a spring in there allowing that to happen..

That's not a ridge cut into it.. It's two separate pieces imo

Thanks CC you are a good man. I honestly can't tell. I can't make it move/spin. But it does appear that something was there but was glued to the case and maybe bottom of the crystal. Which allowed it to rotate. Other possibility is that another piece was glued to the case and maybe bottom of the crystal and the piece where the ridge/gap connected to that to allow it to rotate. That actually looks more likely. It does look like some kind of epoxy residue is on the case top. It would make sense that a spring would have connected the two together. Wish I could find whatever came off. Cannot figure out how it rotated without some mechanism as you are describing. While I cannot make the inner part turn it does seem to flex some which would suggest it is 2 pieces as you are saying.

Now need to make decision. Send it back to china to be fixed or post for sale as is with full disclosure. Either way going to sell it. That is if someone will buy it.....obviously for less than I paid either way.

It did rotate bi directional. Turned easy

Ok so then you have everything you need. Nothing is missing. The way it works is that once the crystal is in place the retaining ring gets fitted over it, but the key is that it's a very snug fit... So snug that it takes a press to get it fully seated. The rep factory prob just couldn't get that exact snug fit, they had a loose fit and had to glue it on in order for it to stay in place. The same thing will keep happening unless you fix the key issue which is that you need a crystal that is slightly thicker (larger o.d) or a retaining ring that is tighter.. Panerai153 had that same problem and had someone fit a larger crystal so the glue wouldn't be needed. You can get his man to do the same for you or you can sell it, completely your choice!

Ok I actually learned quit a bit today. I assume if I send it back to china they will just glue it back on or send me another watch that may end up with the same problem. May contact Matt to see how much to fix so I can sell it good order, but not sure I want to put more money into it...hmmmm

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry not to confuse you more but it just came to me that it's the crystal itself that must have been glued to the case then the retaining ring, spring and bezel were fitted. That makes much more sense. So basically the whole assembly was ok until the glue gave up its bond causing the crystal to come loose and take the entire assembly with it. In that case matt will clean the glue from the case, scrap that crystal and fit one that actually pressure fits onto your case instead of being glued on. Once the crystal is pressure fitted he will gradually size down the retaining ring to get a perfect fit.

Either way, Matt has done it before so it shouldn't be too hard or expensive to get it done right!

You are already expecting to take a loss on it, I would (personally) just leave it as is and let the buyer figure it out. If the watch is hard to source now, it might be worth it to someone who wants to mod it. Like everyone else has said, the movement is the most valuable part. Did it come with the roulette date wheel?

I'm doing a built right now using the watch I bought a long time ago. If you do a search, you can find Donerix's build and a comparison of the case to a gen 6542... the shape of the PT case is very good, minus the lug holes and the rehaut. The rehaut can be sanded/machined down to look good and a larger, better quality dial can be fitted (I got one from Ingod). The lug holes there isn't much you can do, but I am going to place mine on a strap so I don't mind it (and prefer the markings between the lugs). The case won't work if you want to fit a bracelet, and the bracelet that came with the watch is crap. As for the bezel, mine came with teeth that are barely there and looks cheap - I picked up a gen style bezel on eBay and got an insert from JoeyB that should be arriving today.

You are already expecting to take a loss on it, I would (personally) just leave it as is and let the buyer figure it out. If the watch is hard to source now, it might be worth it to someone who wants to mod it. Like everyone else has said, the movement is the most valuable part. Did it come with the roulette date wheel?

I'm doing a built right now using the watch I bought a long time ago. If you do a search, you can find Donerix's build and a comparison of the case to a gen 6542... the shape of the PT case is very good, minus the lug holes and the rehaut. The rehaut can be sanded/machined down to look good and a larger, better quality dial can be fitted (I got one from Ingod). The lug holes there isn't much you can do, but I am going to place mine on a strap so I don't mind it (and prefer the markings between the lugs). The case won't work if you want to fit a bracelet, and the bracelet that came with the watch is crap. As for the bezel, mine came with teeth that are barely there and looks cheap - I picked up a gen style bezel on eBay and got an insert from JoeyB that should be arriving today.

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it.  Ya I am weighing out my options.  I did talk to Donerix about his build and have contemplated doing something similar to what you are describing.  Love Joey's insert and the InGod dial.  Would have Cwazy on RWI do a vintage lume and that.  Since I would take a pretty good loss anyways, maybe this should be my first build.  As in tear it down, source some parts and see what I can come up with.  I can always send it to Matt to finish.  I like the Nato strap look anyways so the bracelet is no big deal. Although I did work on the PT bracelet and got it looking pretty decent.  Several polishes with my Dremel and wire brush then a couple of dips in white lightning, then some Mothers Mag Wheel polish.  I guess if I cant pull it off I could sell the parts.  The dial and insert and movement would all be worth something.  

Couple questions: how much for the bezel on the bay?  Are you using the crystal that came with the watch? How are you going to attach the bezel?

I have a Clarks crystal to fit on it. I haven't tried it yet, but it will attach in the same way that everyone is describing the bezel should fit (not glued like the PT setup). I need to finished sanding the rehaut before I attach the crystal and bezel. I also think I am going to end up sending the watch away to be finished, as I messed up the keyless on my movement and might as well get it serviced.

Heres whats going into mine:

PureTime 6542

InGod Dial

World Time Inc Bezel $250 (I negotiated and got it for under $200)

JoeyB Insert $150 (VIP Members)

Clarks Crystal  $10

RafflesTime Vintage GMT Hand $50 (Best Offer/Say you're with RWG for a discount)

Custom 'rusty' red suede strap from Donerix

The GMT hand is on the long boat here, its all I am missing now, as JoeyB's insert should be waiting for me at home.

The PT bracelet isn't anywhere close to acceptable for me - the clasp is especially horrible. I have wondered about buying a Yuki 7206 rep and trying to do some surgery on the bracelet to take the end links off of the PT and swap them onto the Yuki, but I have no idea if that would work or not, and may end up ruining both bracelets. I have a gen bracelet for my 6538 and never wear it, I prefer it on a croc strap or Bond NATO.

Appreciate you sharing the information. I put it in sales thread. And may start over with whole new plan or just buy a modern version and do a project x on it. Shave the cg's and drill lug holes. I know total fantasy watch but cool to my eyes and wrist.

Thanks again for all the help. Good luck on your build

Really want to thank everyone for helping me on this.  I learned a lot during this process, not just about bezel assembly's but about being patient and collecting knowledge before making decisions about purchases and builds.  Being patient has never really been a strength--I want it and I want it now......I am sure others can relate.  As stated before, at this point I really can only take from the forum, but at some point I hope to be able to offer something back.  Watch is sold :) so on to a new plan for my grail watch.

Thanks again.