When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How risky to bring back "a couple" of watches.

Hi

I visit Thailand a few times a year and recently located a watch shop who sells replica watches. A nice old Chinese chap and very popluar with the local ex pats. Last November I bought a stunning Omega Seamaster Ocean Planet. Last month I went back and got a Breitling.

So now I am hooked on replica watches as they really are quite stunning.

I was thinking of bringing a few back each time, so in theory it could fund my purchase.

Has anyone done this and any experiences with Customs in the UK or security at the departure airport this being Bangkok in my case.

The chap also does IWC, Tag and Rolex but suggests I buy Omega, Breiting, Tag or IWC and has not yet shown me a Rolex.

Wear one and get one in your bag shouldnt cause a problem one watch is no problem it is not even illegal but 2 They can charge you for selling it but i Would Think you should be very unlucky for that to happen :)

I doubt you would get in trouble wearing a fake watch, as tons of people do, and you can always say you thought it was real, honest mistake, it was a gift, you got ripped off, etc. etc.  It isn't illegal to purchase rep goods in most places in the world.

Getting caught with two or three is a lot more iffy. 

I would do some research on the laws in Thailand about that kind of thing before you go for it.  Most likely they just confiscate your reps and send you on your way, but I would check that out first.

Most of us travel with several watches, and there have been multiple threads about traveling with watches on the forum. I have never had a problem, and I usually travel with two or three. One on my wrist, and the other one or two in my carry on bag. More than that, you may get some scrutiny. If you travel there frequently, I would wear one, pack a second. Shouldn't have any problems. Do you travel alone? If you have others in your group, wife, girlfriend, friends, you might have them take one back for you in their carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I travelled with one on each wrist once. One set on local time the other on the destination's. Was screened and no issue once I said why. Had two more in baggage

Thanks everyone for your input. Some good ideas. My GF is travelling back with me and she said she will put some in her baggage and wear one just to pass through security. I will be bringing Omega, Breitling and IWC back. Omega being my favorite.

It's a direct flight with BA so just BKK security and a boarding baggage check at that end.

I came back to the Uk last year.........with more than a few pieces :inverted:  was crapping myself about it for ages, no worries coming through and no one even bothered checking my 'luggage' either, guess I was lucky but with a couple watches you should be fine! 

• Like 1

A little bit of history. My ex brother in law brought a few Rolex's from the middle east in the 1980s and gave me one. I had just left school so I thought the part when driving my 1976 Vauxhall Viva.

Always been in to watches. Got a TAG from New York in the late 1990s, then my trail goes cold as I got married etc etc.

I got divorced 4 years ago and and started traveling around a bit the two years ago people in my office suggested I got to Thailand for a holiday and a mid life crisis, which I duly did.

I met a young Thai lady and we have been together (and exclusive) ever since. We managed to convince the UK Boader Agency that our relationship was real and that she will go home within 6 months of her visa being granted.

I saw some street market Rolex's but were poor quaility and only £16. So I started to do some research as I kept getting junk mail offering replica watches from China.

I found a forum thread from 2006 saying this guy sells watches at the back of a market in Pattaya. Thats all the lead I had. So last November when over in TH we went down to the crazy city of Pattaya. We went in to a market to buy some animals to release back for good luck. (Its a Thai/Buddhist thing) and I walked down through the market just looking and came across the watch shop.

I could not belive my luck. Really nice guy, good English and in my opinion some really good watches though I do not know there origin. They are waterproof but he says to remember they are replicas. I take them off anyway when in water.