When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day/Date Wheel Adjustment & Datona Crown Lockdown

topgun

What must I do to replace the crown o-ring, and get the crown to lock down in a Daytona?

The o-ring in my Daytona worked itself out one day when I pulled the stem to set the hands; now the stem won't lock down.

I can still set the hands and wind the watch up; just can't lock it down.

How can I install a new o-ring and fix the lock down issue (unless one automatically takes care of the other).

A step-by-step will help immensely.

Thanks.

Depends on which Daytona model, which o-ring & which crown/tube you have.
Provide answers to those questions & someone should be able to help you.

In the meantime, if the crown will not screw down, the tube or crown threads are damaged & you will need to replace whichever part is damaged.

What must I do to replace the crown o-ring, and get the crown to lock down in a Daytona?

The o-ring in my Daytona worked itself out one day when I pulled the stem to set the hands; now the stem won't lock down.

I can still set the hands and wind the watch up; just can't lock it down.

How can I install a new o-ring and fix the lock down issue (unless one automatically takes care of the other).

A step-by-step will help immensely.

Thanks.

I don't think you are describing the issue accurately. The o-ring doesn't lock anything down, it simply provides a seal for water-resistance purposes.

Sometimes the o-ring will slip out of the tube. When it does it get sort of cocked over the crown tube. When that happens you need to take a needle, and work the o-ring  back into the tube. It will probably come out again. If that happens remove the stem, with the crown still on it, and replace the o-ring. If you can't find the correct one put a drop of super glue on the outside of the o-ring and reinstall it into the tube. When I say a drop I mean about as much as you can get on the end of a needle. Oil the post ont crown and reisert into the movement. That should do it.

• 3 years later...