When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC 2824 Compatability with ETA 2824 - Date Wheel

imajedi

So trying to put together a 42mm PO.  Sourced a Gen ETA 2824-2 only to realize movements come with different canon pinion heights and mine wasn't high enough.  So I bought two of TC's 2824 with the H4 CP.  The only problem is those came with the white date wheel and I need the black.  No problem, I thought, I'll just switch over the one from the ETA movement.  Surprise Surprise, it didn't fit.  Well, technically it fit it just didn't work.  The date wheel would assemble but when you tried to change the date all the way around, portions of the date would not advance and bind and eventually the date wheel would try and lift off the movement enough to prevent advance at all. 

So I went out and had a couple beers and came back with a new idea.  I changed the swapped the two date disk plates and the date advancement spring from the ETA to the TC movment.  The parts were interchangeable and this was definitely a step in the right direction.  The operatoin of the date wheel was much better but still not perfect.  It wouldn't bind so much it quit rotating but some portions would bind enough that the spring could not do its job of pushing the date to the next day (the click you hear).  I could tell the disk teeth were binding on the movement so I took the disk off and took a stone dremel to the tips of the teeth.  I went around very lightly, really just a smoothing, and reassembled.  Everyhting worked perfectly.

The only problem in all this is with all the monkying around, I scratch up my date disk.  It was on and off about 30 times and the first 5 I had no idea what I was doing.  New date disk on its way and hopefully a happy ending.  Hope this helps someone.

PS - In hindsight, I could of probably asked TC to send me movements with the black date disk already installed.  BOING!!!

I put a new ETA date disc on his most recent movement no problem. Make sure the little spring on the side opposite the keyless is not trapped under the date disc. Otherwise it will pop off when you try to advance with the keyless.

Also make sure you do not accidentally have the hands set at midnight.

Cheers.

I have fitted plenty of ETA date wheels on the TC2824 no problem, its a straight swap.  You have obviously not fitted it correctly by the sounds of things.

Another reason for ill-fitting could be that some of the teeth on your ETA date wheel are out of alignment.

Edited by SSTEEL