When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSSD Noob Version on PureTime

Planky

Has anyone seen this new version posted today on PT site? Please advise... I'm the DSSD official addict and it looks good but his ad doesn't match up with the description and video is of the DS Challenge.

RLX2014042401-04_thm.JPG

A few years ago, I was the RWG forum expert on DSSD watches from all the factories. I have not kept up with them for at least 3 years but looking at this new piece, I can see that all the old flaws are fixed. The most glaring of them were the triangle indicator's shape in the ceramic insert, the pearl, and the terrible shape of the "white gold" hour markers. All in all, this piece is beautiful.

I can say that I paid $380 for my DSSD five years ago, with Swiss ETA. This watch is so expensive because Angus is selling it with the 3135 decorated clone movement. If you buy this with Asia ETA it will be a lot less. For a real bargain, watch to see if someone sells it with A21j high-beat movement .. the main dealers will probably NOT do this, since they can really screw you nicely on the cost  mark-up of the Swiss or China Swiss Clone.

One good thing about an Asian etaclone is you can swap them out for a genuine Eta when they blow up.

With a low or high beat Miyota clone there is nowhere to go except back with another myoclone because the dial and hands will not interchange with an Eta. Exact replacement high beat myoclones are hard to find because most of them come with a low canon pinion and the hands will be too close to the dial...might be able to swap the high cp/hour wheel out to the new movement though.

Otoh when you pay the ransom for a swiss Eta it may be an old movement that needs attention or replacing. If it was my $$, I would go for the Plain Jane etaclone and be on the lookout for a fresh swiss eta just in case...but only if the watch is a 'keeper'. 

And then there is always 'Rep Rule #1' to consider...

"There Ain't No Keepers"

...except a few Frankensteins.

So who knows? Maybe an etaclone will last as long as you want to keep the watch.  

(After proof reading this post it seems I said nothing of value as usual)   :pimp:

• Like 1