When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw 6263 Vj72 Project Has Begun!

watcher

Yesterday I received my 'old new stock' watch with a gorgeous Valjoux72 movement inside looking like the day it came from the factory! I bought her on Ebay weeks ago but it got delayed reaching me but it was well worth the small wait! Tell me what you expert Daytona guys think of her!

I also received my new updated dial and hands from DW tihs week and they fit perfectly. I have not got a round to fitting them properly yet so those pics will follow as I go.

If anyone has a Tap10 stem they want to sell I would be eternally grateful!! I sent an order to Bob Frei but he has not responded yet as I'm in the U.K. Cousins only have a tap9 stem which I guess will not fit a 7mm Gen crown.

Also I've not yet figured out how I will secure it in the case and may also need to modify the start/stop button so the pusher makes correct contact when used. The lever on the movement is a little short of centre to meet the button when pushed in :mellow:

I'm very excited and hope to have some time this weekend to progress to the semi-built stage!!!!!

Any feedback would be great guys!

Cheers

Paul

164030-11633.jpg

164030-11634.jpg

164030-11635.jpg

164030-11636.jpg

Nice project, interesting & odd movement. Great stuff. You are lucky to just get a movement so that you don't have to experience the guilt of ripping out a V72 from a donor watch. Nothing is more blasphemous or shameful than to tear the heart out of a genuine vintage watch just to make a rep. I've made a few and before each surgical session, I've gone out to have a few shots with beers. You gotta pour out some liquor for the dead homies. By the way, I will not make any more of these Daytona frankens - it is ridiculous to own more than one, and it is too bad that we have single-handedly inflated the prices on all those fine V72 vintage chronos.

My experience with the case parts is that nothing quite fits flush. You will need a sh*tload of patience. The 6263/5 franken game is not so simple as it initially appears. Take your time. Do it right.

164051-11622.jpg

You are right about patince!!!!!!!! I did have to take a lovely watch apart though, it was not just the movement. The whole watch was as new in unsold condition which did make it hard to strip on moral grounds but the desire for a Daytona was so great I thought.....F**K it!!!!! Can't wait for the finished article to be on my wrist but I know I must take my time to do it right!