When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V6 Tc hands issue

Erict719

with the new v6 hands, it's amazing, flat lume and c1.

However on mine, there are some grayish black dirt on the lume, it looks like rust on the lume.

Am I the only one? Maybe this batch has poor QC?

Check out my picture, easier to see the minute hand,

The grayish parts on the lume is not shadow, it's actually on the lume.post-41548-0-19656200-1401124526_thumb.j

Edited by Erict719

Glossy black dials are very easy to damage so it might be better to send it back to TC if you are in the same country. Otherwise maybe get another set of hands from TC and let a pro install them.

I have probably r/r 1000 dials/hands on 'good' watches and glossy black dials still make me very, very nervous, Just removing them with a layer of padding between the hand puller and dial can still leave a mark.

Etc, etc...

I usually remove hands pointing at 12:00 so the (padded) hand puller will not remove any letters on the dial because sometimes the lettering just above and below the center will stick to the padding if you remove the hands pointing toward 3  or 9, especially on new dials. 

It's a good idea to use a 'hand stand' that holds the hand pusher tool securely in line when pushing the hands on and it's also a good idea to pad the hands so they will not get scratched at all by the tool. If a hand pusher slips off the hand onto the dial it will usually leave a mark.

If the hands do not fit, it's better to broach or close them using a spare movement and dial to try them on and make only one final fitting on the watch.

If the movement hacks you can usually get by with r/r the hands at exactly 12:00 without running them around to see when the date flips when installing the new hands.

Sometimes the date flips at a different time when running the hands around with the crown compared to letting the watch run and flip when it gets to 12 because of slack in the various wheels.

Last but not least is dealing with dust...glossy black dials attract dust from miles around.

If it was mine...I would leave it as is for now and get a spare set of hands from TC to install when you need to take the watch apart for something else.

The only thing worse than glossy black dials are hairsprings.  :vava:

• 2 weeks later...

Imo all hands on V6 suffer from this! I think it is due to the hands recieving a relume to match the New better coloured lume on the dial.

It kind of didnt bother me, but it is a shame nonetheless :/ The hands are really great aside from that, though. Really 3D looking.

But to OP - do NOT try to open it up and remove the spots. It is NOT dust, but a result of poor drying conditions when the lume was applied.