When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, A thing happened today...

Yesterday, while at work I was approached by a coworker, telling me of this Rolex that he has laying around in a drawer, collecting dust! He goes on to explain that it's an "Oyster, or something," and "I think it's the real deal." He tells me that the watch is quite small, he thinks it is a womans watch and he can't wear it, if I'm interested I might aswell have it, he'll bring it in tomorrow...

Well, tomorrow is today and today he walks in and hands me a watch on a stretched out bracelet that is only attached at one side of the case, the bracelet has come off the 6 o-clock end-link. I take the small stainless steel time piece in my hands and give it a quick once over and say 

"This is worthless, likely fake, let me throw it away for you"

Okay, I'm kidding.

After looking at it quickly, the watch appears to be a cir.1960's Tudor, Prince Date, automatic. it also has a dial that I have never seen before, a white dial with both 12h and 24h printed indicators, the inner 24h markers are red. I'm not really a Rolex/Tudor guy and know very little about vintage peices from this manufacturer... that's where I hope some of the experts on this forum will really come in handy... ;)

post-44290-0-85696000-1401469386_thumb.j

This is the watch, on brown leather, his is on a bracelet, I'll get the bracelet model later, when I have access to the watch.

I could see that the movement appeard to be running, just from transport so no issue there. I unscrewed the crown and slowly proceded to wind the watch, being careful to feel for resistance or any obvious problems. The winding was vey smooth so I continued to wind the watch to give the movement a good charge; I am hoping to assess accuracy and approximate power reserve over the next little while. I pulled the crown out one position, this is the time change as I dont believe this watch has a quick set date, I carefully started to move the hands through 24+ hours, the date change was good, ~12:00 and most importantly, it worked. I set the time and put the watch aside until I have time to work with it some more (photograph it).

I plan to update this post with pictures of the watch as soon as I get a chance to photograph it, I am busy for the next few days but should get a chace to work with it soon.

Why then am I telling you guys this?

1. I thought it was a cool story, sometimes neat things happen and it doesn't always involve someone saying "Hey buddy, nice watch" which by the way, never happens.

2. I am hoping that some of the Rolex/Tudor Afficionados on this forum will be able to enlighten me about this piece, I'm sure there is more to know than google can share, as it is predominantly ebay sales listings for other Tudor Prince Date pieces.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention

3. He would like me to sell this watch for him... it may end up available in the sales section here, this thread should make for a nice preview and introduction into this watch that might be just what someone is looking for.

I hope to update you all soon with lots of detailed pictures of this watch, until then, talk amongst yourselves and please, if anyone has anything to share on this peice, I am all ears.

Not a lot of interest in this vintage Tudor around these parts I guess, not even in the 7205 bracelet it's attached too. Maybe what this post needs is a little eye candy.

urybumuz.jpg

pasusahy.jpg

rypadyra.jpg

ze6amuse.jpg

vy3udu8e.jpg

ybapa8et.jpg

For a little more information on this watch, it has been going strong for almost two full days, unworn, power reserve and time keeping both appear adequate.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk