When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Day At The Market!

offshore

Thought a few may be interested. My wife took a photo of my little stall at the local market.

What a pleasant way to spend Saturday morning, fixing and talking about watches.

Tis especially satisfyingwhen one gets positive comment.

Had a watch arrive this morning, the lady said she had it at 3 jewellers, and none could get it open.

A little inspection, select the correct caseback tool, and voila, back off. New battery..... $7 thanks lady... and off she trotted, to tell all and sundry what a great watchman was in the market... got 4 more jobs from the recommendation.

Fix a few, sell a few,........ good times.

Offshore

post-13-1165638943_thumb.jpg

@Usil,

No my friend, unfortunately I still have 6 or 7 years till I retire!

I am building this little sideline, in the hope that when I finally do retire, I will be able to have a small (tax free) income, so I can continue to have a drink, and a smoke!

There is more money in fixing them, than selling... today I sold 4... they would owe me about $5 each. And I got $45 in sales! At the same time I did 12 battery replacements ( Average $7 each) Cost to me $1.20 ( Plus my time) I also got another 7 repair jobs, various bands/ bracelet repairs (some springbars etc) and a couple of good mechanical repairs in there as well. I estimate I will nett around $400 for the other work ( about 16 hours work in all this- and negligible parts/consumeables-maybe $5)

At the same time, I feel I am contributing to our community, as we have no Jewellers/Watchmakers locally-yet.

So small steps, towards a peaceful future!

Offshore

Thanks offshore.

I am very interested in your story as I will retire in about 3 years. What you do is a natural, liking the watches and all and my passion, while I love the reps, is photogrphy and has been for 40 years. I set up a table at the last church art fair a few months ago and made about 400 Euro selling some of my pics and this was encouraging since it would be nice to actually make some spending money from my hobby when I retire. Something to at least cover my costs and my impulse watch purchases. I also got 2 of my photos used as the cover of a book last year so I think there is a potential. Plus, if I actually make money at it then it might cover travel to take more pictures.

Anyway, I am an American living and working in Paris and will return to the US next summer. I have seen the art fairs that happen around the communities in the summer and thought that I might try this when I get back. Not sure where to start but I think it is at least worth a try. If you have any hints I would appreciate your insight.

Good luck with your small business.

Usil

Edited by Usil