When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken watch: why?

GenTLe

This is in addition to my earlier post about Frankensteins in general being a not so good investment.

This post is about genuine movement Frankenstein 1680, 5512, and 5513 comparing them to a genuine watch while trying to make them a not so bad investment.

One thing that can be said about a carefully built Frankenstein is if you use high quality components and careful assembly, the overall quality can rival many very expensive genuine watches...made expensive today because of 'collector inflation'.

Most of my genuine movement Frankenstein experience is with 1680/5512/13, here is what I have learned:

1...A high quality case...Yuki, MBK, J&W etc can be WR to at least 100M. Not bad at all when compared to a genuine vintage example with case corrosion problems etc.

2...A fresh Eta 28xx is about as good as anything you can find but a high quality Frankenstein vintage relax really needs a genuine movement if $$ permits imho.

3...A fresh genuine relax 15xx is a very good movement but the service life depends on being able to find parts and someone who is willing to stick their neck out to work on it.

'Stick their neck out' = taking the chance on losing or breaking an expensive part and/or going through the hassle of finding parts.

So...for the reasons above, a first rate Frankenstein can be a very high quality watch that will last for many years making this is a pretty good 'investment' if you plan to keep it and wear it. When I see some of the beat up, rotted out, mix and match 'genuine junk' for sale for $5000 to $10,000...a genuine movement Frankenstein is not that expensive after all.

Cases I have used...IG44 1680, Yuki 5512/5513, MBK 1680/5513 (same case), Phong 1655. I must say the overall quality of them all is outstanding.

Also have a few DW 5513 and 1680 cases and they are not bad at all except for the rounded sides, no bevel on lug tops, and non genspec bezel assemblies. A DW 5513 case is really a 1680 case internally and a 26.0mm 5512/13 dial is too small. I had to make a spacer to go between the dial and case window 27.0mm od x 25.6mm id x .85mm thick to be able to use a 5513 dial on a 1520.

The thin spacer got so flimsy that I had to use an 8mm 'WW' six jaw bezel chuck to finish cutting the id. 

8ujygu4e.jpg

rytypedu.jpg

Some fun examples, Franken blancpain FF no radiation and tudor 7159. Both took over a year to complete, pretty much everything gen or customised made except cases. I m very proud with the end results and probably I ll never resell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I just assume that any gen vintage Rolex is actually a franken. A great many are not, of course, but why take the chance? Think about it: there's a reason why the Auction Site is flooded (and I mean *flooded*) with empty cases and dials for the Valjoux 72, but only a very few movements. Where are all those orphaned movements going?