When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Frankenstein Rules...

automatico

gen case and movement,gen crown,gen hands ,crystal,bezel assembly,and insert,and dial and braclet.is not a franken to me,its a hand built gen,to me a franken is every thing gen apart from case bracelet and movement like mine;)

Edited by live1

gen case and movement,gen crown,gen hands ,crystal,bezel assembly,and insert,and dial and braclet.is not a franken to me,its a hand built gen,to me a franken is every thing gen apart from case bracelet and movement like mine;)

+1, I call my 16610 Sub a Franken. Some might try to call it a Super Franken, or Uber Franken but not me. Everything on mine is gen except the case,bezel ring,bracelet and movement.

Although I do have some gen parts on my Y3135 movement also, like the date disc & main spring!

8D8CF60F-29EC-444D-9B8F-83458AF56B68.jpg

Dave...

How I view things:

• Homage - Looks like a well know brand/watch, but without infringing logos.  (i.e. Sterile, Invicata Submariner, etc.) 0% genuine parts of actual brand
  • Replica - Looks like a well known brand/watch, WITH brand logos.  Will fool the uninformed, but probably not a WIS/us.  0% genuine parts of actual brand.
  • SuperReplica - Looks like a well known brand/watch, WITH brand logos. (e.g. 1:1) Will fool most people, but probably not 1 in 500,000 or actual watch maker/AD.  0% genuine parts of actual brand.
  • Modified SuperReplica - See above, but with easily swapped genuine parts added to supplement.  (Crystal, Bezel, Strap/Band) - 25%+ genuine parts
  • Frankenstein - at lest 60% genuine parts, making it indistinguishable (externally) from a gen.  Able to fool a watch maker/AD on cursory inspection (not opening it, operating it). > = 60% Gen
  • Swap-Job/Conversion - Converting say a 1601 into a 1016, gen movement, with perhaps a non-essential aftermarket part or 2 (tube, crystal, hands, bezel) - 85%-100% Genuine Parts.
  • Johnny Cash - "One Piece at a Time" (song reference) - 100% Genuine, scavenging parts as you find them, and building an actual genuine watch. NOT "Numbers matching"  (Technically, the ultimate Frankenstein)