When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Long Do Your Watches Usually Take To Clear Customs?

Devedander

Time in customs  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Less than 1 hour

• 1-2 hours
    • 2-6 hours
    • About 1 day
    • 2-3 days
    • More than 3 days

Well I am sitting here looking at my tracking number for some watches and last order sat in customs for about 2 days and came with a nice $75 tax slapped on them...

This order got into customs at 10AM today and didn't clear by day end... now I know the best thing to do is to not look at tracking as it doesn't change anything, but I can't help it :p

My feeling is the faster they get out of customs, the better chance no one got their grubby mitts on them. If they sit there for too long I get the feeling it's becuase someone is doing something with them that holds them up (I know it's not always this way, but right now I have nothing better to do than speculate).

So I am wondering, I hear lots of stories of people who's watches regularly clear customs in under 1 or 2 hours... so how would you say is average for your watches to clear customs (assuming nothing goes wrong like getting taxed or seized ie how long do you think is long enough to say "hmmm....")?

For the record mine come thorugh SF customs.

I dont know but it sounds like to me that US Customs is looking to cash in on the nearly Billion dollar a year counterfeit watch/hand bag industry. I think that Rolex will eventually find a way to make examples of random unlucky people ( hefty fines). As we all know that in the US political favors / money can manipulate the justice and federal system.

Edited by tonyp1

Yeah I think customs realized they will make more $$$ by slapping taxes on things and sending them on rather than confiscating and destroying at their cost...

I can't think of any other way they could have opened and inspected a package with 4 luxury watches (including a Rolex) and decided to tax them rather than just seize...

My watches come thru SFO, too. Usually they're released in a few hours. I would never have more than one watch shipped in a single package. It may add to the shipping costs, but it's worth avoiding the hassle. Actually, my dealer recommended that the watches be sent individually on different days. Never had a problem after receiving about a dozen watches.

@kruzer I figure customs only operates 8-10 hours a day so if you aren't near 6 hours you are probably around 1 day (8 hours) or more.

@chieft did your watch have any tax or anything assocaited when you got it?

@indenial I am considering that for future orders, however most dealers offer combined shipping rates at a discount (which makes the cost difference even greater) and makes me wonder why they would if it increases risks... since many of the reship seized watches it seems they would want to avoid the possibility...

Last watch form Andrew (ems) hit Sydney Customs @ 10.57am and was cleared at 11.10am or so Tracking said. I have found the stuff from Acetimer (US) is the same. I figure the thinking is that the States are so Anal with there security, Australian Customs figure their work has already been done. Suits Me. But hardly inspires confidence.

Edited by Cranky

Depends.. Usually they are released quite fast... The two times they were delayed by a day the first one has been confiscated and the second one went through without any problem...

I guess it depends on the individual package and country.

How do you guys know this information?

I've been tracking something coming from England to US and all I get on the tracking site is:

Your item, posted on 30/11/06 with reference XXXXXXXXXXX has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

That's all it's said since December 1st. It doesn't give any information about customs, US tracking or anything. Am I missing something?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...