When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Feel of a Quality Rep in the Hand

BigEd781

Hello all,

So I have been perusing this forum anonymously for about a month now in preparation of purchasing my first rep.  I knew beforehand that many reps are utter crap and that there had to be a community or two of people in the know who could point me in the right direction. Well, obviously, I found one, so thank you to all of you who spend your time making this such a great resource for noobs like myself.

Anyway, I, like many (*many*) others, was in search of a decent Sub-c rep.  It's not my typically style, so not a watch that I would pay sticker (or near sticker) for, but I do admire certain things about it and would like to have something with that look in my collection of gens.  After reading many reviews and all of the pinned topics here, I decided on a BP Sub-c Hulk from Andrew at Trusty Time.

The watch is paid for and on its way, but I just couldn't stand waiting for an answer to one thing; how do these feel in the hand?  Pictures can only say so much and, as we all know, one things that separates a well made watch from the cheaper variety is the weight and feeling of quality in the hand.  That can't be replicated without equal workmanship.

Now I'm not expecting a Sub-c clone of course, but for those of you who own this model, I would appreciate some feedback in this area.  In all of the reviews I have read I have not found much mentioned in direct regard to weight and feel.

Chances are it will be very very good. I had a 16610 from Andrew last year and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the bracelet - it had a cheap feel to it. A quick oil bath (dry bike chain lube) sorted it and the it was great. The weight and feel should be good on yours. Enjoy it when you receive it.

Hi and welcome. Supposing all is well aligned in the first place and it´s got the Asian ETA-clone it will feel good to excellent with fantastic lume. The bezel-rotation click on the BP´s is solid, fast, precise and very agreeable to the touch, I use it all the time and meanwhile enjoy it more and its faster than using a stopwatch - and prefer the simplicity of setting countdown-time.

When it comes to the crown and time-setting there is no uniform quality standard, some are smooth and perfect, on others the machining is less good or the stem is harder to push/ not as precise when clicking into positions. Never wind mine because it´s not necessary, they start immediately and pick up power reserve fast. The bracelet - after the oilbath - is excellent too, but on mine it´s not quick, I leave them soaking at least overnight, more is better.

You´ll enjoy it.

If I was you I'd have taken the Noob so called V4 from ToroBravo ( http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=1014 ) or its green twin ( http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=849 ). And with Asian2836.

The one with caliber modified to match the Rolex look isn't that reliable. Moreover are you sure about the AR coating of the sapphire glass?

I can almost guarantee you will be amazed........

Hello all,

So I have been perusing this forum anonymously for about a month now in preparation of purchasing my first rep.  I knew beforehand that many reps are utter crap and that there had to be a community or two of people in the know who could point me in the right direction. Well, obviously, I found one, so thank you to all of you who spend your time making this such a great resource for noobs like myself.

Anyway, I, like many (*many*) others, was in search of a decent Sub-c rep.  It's not my typically style, so not a watch that I would pay sticker (or near sticker) for, but I do admire certain things about it and would like to have something with that look in my collection of gens.  After reading many reviews and all of the pinned topics here, I decided on a BP Sub-c Hulk from Andrew at Trusty Time.

The watch is paid for and on its way, but I just couldn't stand waiting for an answer to one thing; how do these feel in the hand?  Pictures can only say so much and, as we all know, one things that separates a well made watch from the cheaper variety is the weight and feeling of quality in the hand.  That can't be replicated without equal workmanship.

Now I'm not expecting a Sub-c clone of course, but for those of you who own this model, I would appreciate some feedback in this area.  In all of the reviews I have read I have not found much mentioned in direct regard to weight and feel.

Hi and welcome. Supposing all is well aligned in the first place and it´s got the Asian ETA-clone it will feel good to excellent with fantastic lume. The bezel-rotation click on the BP´s is solid, fast, precise and very agreeable to the touch, 

Hi NW, may you point out the link of the watch you're referring to (on any of our TD sites)? There are so many Sub around that it's nearly impossible to get the exact one.

Hi and welcome to the forum and the hobby. As others have stated overall look and feel is good but a little work makes them better. Look for the threads here for bracelet treatment. A little handy work with a scotch bright pad and some Teflon lube on the bracelet and case make a huge difference on the feel. My BK sub c was spot spot on for weight and feel once this work was done. Crown guards a little off when side by side to gen but not really that noticeable except to experts like here on the forum. Dial very close maybe not as crisp and the Lume not as good but overal for less than 1/10 of the cost a great time piece.

Good luck on your first purchase

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Chances are it will be very very good. I had a 16610 from Andrew last year and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the bracelet - it had a cheap feel to it. A quick oil bath (dry bike chain lube) sorted it and the it was great. The weight and feel should be good on yours. Enjoy it when you receive it.

Yup, I expected to give the bracelet a soak, that's not a problem.  Glad to hear that the weight doesn't scream "cheap".

Hi and welcome. Supposing all is well aligned in the first place and it´s got the Asian ETA-clone it will feel good to excellent with fantastic lume. The bezel-rotation click on the BP´s is solid, fast, precise and very agreeable to the touch, I use it all the time and meanwhile enjoy it more and its faster than using a stopwatch - and prefer the simplicity of setting countdown-time.

When it comes to the crown and time-setting there is no uniform quality standard, some are smooth and perfect, on others the machining is less good or the stem is harder to push/ not as precise when clicking into positions. Never wind mine because it´s not necessary, they start immediately and pick up power reserve fast. The bracelet - after the oilbath - is excellent too, but on mine it´s not quick, I leave them soaking at least overnight, more is better.

You´ll enjoy it.

After making the purchase I did read a few recommendations to go with the Asian movement due to the suspect lineage of the Swiss ETA's found in many reps.  It was too late by then however, and I'm not overly concerned about it. I purchased this one here.

If I was you I'd have taken the Noob so called V4 from ToroBravo ( http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=1014 ) or its green twin ( http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=849 ). And with Asian2836.

The one with caliber modified to match the Rolex look isn't that reliable. Moreover are you sure about the AR coating of the sapphire glass?

I went back and forth, but ultimately decided on the BP.  I read over and over that the BP was more accurate out of the box, but also that the noob was a better base to mod (and that it sports a much nicer bracelet clasp). I realize that this is a point of contention and that many disagree, but it did seem to be the general consensus.  As I'm not likely to mod this one I went with the BP.

That said, some of the reviews were from last year (noob v2).  If they have released yet another upgrade I am unaware of it.  If I find that I like the BP I will likely pick up a blue Sub-c, so perhaps I'll try out the noob next time.

Hi and welcome to the forum and the hobby. As others have stated overall look and feel is good but a little work makes them better. Look for the threads here for bracelet treatment. A little handy work with a scotch bright pad and some Teflon lube on the bracelet and case make a huge difference on the feel. My BK sub c was spot spot on for weight and feel once this work was done. Crown guards a little off when side by side to gen but not really that noticeable except to experts like here on the forum. Dial very close maybe not as crisp and the Lume not as good but overal for less than 1/10 of the cost a great time piece.

Good luck on your first purchase

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

More like 1/30th, so yeah, I can deal with a couple of imperfections.  I've never seen a rep with a correct crown guard. They always seem to overlap the crown from the side a bit, whereas the gen guards are pretty will parallel to it.

P.S. 

"Sent from my droptop using telepathy."

:good:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I think I'll be pleased with this one.

Edited by BigEd781

We're expecting some pictures and a review in the Rolex area then ;)

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I know that the BP and noob subs are pretty widely covered, but when I was researching mine I would have liked to have found even more reviews.  The more info the better.

Edited by BigEd781

Hi NW, may you point out the link of the watch you're referring to (on any of our TD sites)? There are so many Sub around that it's nearly impossible to get the exact one.

Hi Gentle, OP referred he got a BP so I was meaning the Cartel-subs in general (Sea Dweller, 16610 and 116610). The Noob V3 has superior looks but I have seen very few "complete" ones to be sure I´ll really get one for the time being (and not buying it with the overpriced, sensible modified movement either). Overall best value for money imo is Intimes classic 16600 BP Seadweller for $238 at the moment (normally wp to more than 6 ATM as well).