When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problems Purchasing @ torobravos, Where Can I Find a noob PAM 177?

BigEd781

So, I would like to purchase this watch here: http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_52&product_id=566

Unfortunately, torobravos has a policy which will not allow me to use PayPal for my first purchase.  I understand why this is, and I know he is a reputable dealer, so I decided to use my CC.  Unfortunately, his checkout page is not encrypted, and I'm not going to enter my CC number over a connection that anyone could snoop.

I've sent them a couple of emails, but it doesn't look like we're going to be able to work out a deal that suits both of us, which is too bad (I really don't want to send cash).  I've looked at all of the dealers in the TD section (well, those which still have valid links), and I cannot find the watch I am looking for.

So, short of someone knowing some way for me to work this out with TB (seems unlikely), does anyone know where I can find this watch?  I also looked at trusty time, but he doesn't have the noob version.

Edited by BigEd781
  • Like 1

I tried that, but he didn't budge. I understand what he's afraid of when it comes to first time customers, but I couldn't convince him that I wasn't an unreasonable noob who would file a PP dispute at the first sign of a problem.

Edited by BigEd781

Ah, I had inferred that you meant a direct bank transfer when you mentioned sending cash.

Sadly it's just the way it seems to be now, too many idiots have screwed up loads of dealers PP accounts so we're left with WU. Fat Panda is experimenting with other payment options (probationary dealer at the other RWG) but it's my guess that for any method where the buyer can complain and grab the cash back easily, it will be abused and dropped.

See - you don't want to send cash to a VERY REPUTABLE dealer, who's well known for many years, but you expect this dealer to trust YOU, a noob with 12 posts?

Kinda "zero logic", I think...

I'm not convinced you have a leg to stand on when it comes to logic...

1. I wouldn't send cash (WU, MO, whatever) to any internet shop I'm not extremely familiar with (and then I would wonder why I am being asked to do it in the first place).  

If you will, ok, but it's certainly not an unreasonable stance when shopping with people you don't know.  And let's be honest; "very reputable" in the rep watch world doesn't really hold the same weight as if we were talking about Amazon or some similar operation.

I don't expect him to rip me off, but I also don't want to open myself up to a problem with no recourse whatsoever.

2. If you had read (more slowly perhaps?) what I wrote, you would understand that I don't fault him for not taking PP from new customers, only that I don't want to send cash, and that his CC setup is faulty, because...

3. His site is taking CC info over *http*.  If you don't know why that is bad, look it up and learn something.

Edited by BigEd781

I know, why it's bad. Just don't understand, why any sane person would pay by CC to ANY chinese website.

And again - Toro is well known, you are noob with 12 (ok, now 13 ) posts. That's the major point.

Amazon f***d me up twice. Toro - never. So, your comparison don't hold the water.

I know, why it's bad. Just don't understand, why any sane person would pay by CC to ANY chinese website.

And again - Toro is well known, you are noob with 12 (ok, now 13 ) posts. That's the major point.

Amazon f***d me up twice. Toro - never. So, your comparison don't hold the water.

Using a CC gives me fraud protection. Cash... no such luck. Worst case; my CC gets stolen, but I quickly contact my bank and I don't incur charges (when I say CC, I don't mean a debit card).

I don't know, maybe I am being overly cautious, but as you say, I haven't been doing this long (only one purchase so far) and I just don't like the idea of sending cash to China for a rep. I'm working it out with toro and, if that falls apart, there are others. Maybe it would be worth a one time cash order just to be able to use PP in the future.

Long story short. You want to pay with CC over a secured connection. Makes perfect sense to me...

But what if I told you that the Noob factory is out of titanium cases? So it doesn't matter where you order and how you pay, you'll get the very same message from every TD. "Hello Sir, Sorry watch is no stock. You want other model?"

Sounds very complicated and unusual, most TD´s will accept WU only on first purchase so CC is already a big benefit only very few TD´s beyond the already mentioned offer. From all thousands of members and 10 thousands of purchases only 1 TD (and its none of these 3, had recently some problems with CC, it´s being sorted out) 

1. some Bancs offer separate solutions for "safe" purchases via Debit Card linked to Your Credit Card/ or banc account with limits You set (amount+nr. of purchases allowed within previously set time frame, at least 1)

2. Get a separate account with limited funds and a debit card for internet purchases (did this Years ago before PP existed)

Paid via "safe" Debit Card to Intime and Toro (and others), no problem at all.

If one of the TD´s ends up accepting PP and You do have some problem please contact the forum moderators first before filing for a refund.

Have you considered paying via WU using a credit card?

That should offer the protection of paying via credit card (who are actually fair when it comes to arbitration unlike PayPal who seem to decide a case in the few seconds it takes to start another game of Forza) and allow you to pay to a wider range of TDs who accept WU.

[snip]

If one of the TD´s ends up accepting PP and You do have some problem please contact the forum moderators first before filing for a refund.

All good ideas. I was going to use my CC with the lowest limit, but meh, I'll just have to trust toro this time I think. I may just be a bit spoiled at this point as I've only ever dealt with Andrew who accepts PP the first time around.

I am a new member, but I spent about a month reading this forum as well as RWI before making my first purchase. I won't create problems for a TD (and all of you) by freaking out and filing a PP dispute should a movement stop working or the watch arrive with some other issue. Really that would be reserved for getting completely ripped off, last resort. I understand what sort of problems can arise when purchasing a rep.

I have read and taken to heart:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/139448-how-to-deal-with-sellers-and-acceptable-expectations-if-problems-arise/

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/171237-what-are-the-rep-collecting-10-commandments/

Have you considered paying via WU using a credit card?

That should offer the protection of paying via credit card (who are actually fair when it comes to arbitration unlike PayPal who seem to decide a case in the few seconds it takes to start another game of Forza) and allow you to pay to a wider range of TDs who accept WU.

Good idea. Just tried, payment declined through WU. Online didn't work, called them, and they wouldn't put it through. I'm guessing that it was the combination of me never having used the card with WU (or WU at all) and sending money to China. Yeesh, what a pain. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and use cash via a brick and mortar WU location.

Edited by BigEd781

I am a new member, but I spent about a month reading this forum as well as RWI before making my first purchase. I won't create problems for a TD (and all of you) by freaking out and filing a PP dispute should a movement stop working or the watch arrive with some other issue. Really that would be reserved for getting completely ripped off, last resort. I understand what sort of problems can arise when purchasing a rep.

Trust me, it shows you've been reading and compared to the usual noob you're a year ahead of them already!

Good idea. Just tried, payment declined through WU. Online didn't work, called them, and they wouldn't put it through. I'm guessing that it was the combination of me never having used the card with WU (or WU at all) and sending money to China. Yeesh, what a pain. Looks like I'll just have to suck it up and use cash via a brick and mortar WU location.

Did the CC company say they wouldn't make the payment?

I've not had that problem but have read others say the same thing and it seems in most cases you need to phone the CC company and tell them that you are aware of the reputation WU has and you still want to make the payment. It seems that does it. What the situation would then be if you needed to make a claim through the CC company I haven't got a clue, would be an interesting exercise in "reading the small print" I guess.