When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't identify my great granfathers Pocket watch

gran

This is the (low quality) pocket watch passed down to me from my great grandfather..obviously of emotional importance to me....but I have no idea who the movement maker is

1.Outer case is 0.800 silver, inner case is A metal and this might mean

2. Lokes like the movement has been recased (as seconds hand is too long)

3. Movement is probably SWISS, but for USA or Bristish marked but is not of high quality..but what maker is it?

4. Watch might have been bought back in the 1880s (He was captain on commercial sail-ships about 1870-1910, once had his own vessel and spent 60 years of his life at the high seas). Lucky to have survived and to have died in his own bed close to 98 years old.

5. To me it looks like the kind of watches sold in germany during this period

6. The watch does not run at resently but runs a little when turned by key (moves just a fraction of an inch) so spring may be stuck...needs some serious service for sure as has not been used for the last 50 years or more

7. The odd looking key chain is made of a metal that feels very very light, certainly its not silver..cheap but old..what metal might this be?

Obviously this is not a pocket watch forum but maybe some of you can give clues to the make of this watch and its movement

GranFatherNoNameMov7.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov3.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov8.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov4.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov2.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov5.jpg

GranFatherNoNameMov6.jpg

Uhm, the case is a Crescent one (or maybe an earlier Chicago Watch Case Co) -> http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Crescent_Watch_Case_Co

Also see: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?57306-Chicago-Watch-Case-Co-Info

The movement looks older than 1880... More 1850, as it's a barred cylinder movement, but I can't say more about it.

Uhm, the case is a Crescent one (or maybe an earlier Chicago Watch Case Co) -> http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Crescent_Watch_Case_Co

Also see: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?57306-Chicago-Watch-Case-Co-Info

The movement looks older than 1880... More 1850, as it's a barred cylinder movement, but I can't say more about it.

Super info..cresent and star on movement too so,,,,

Its a pretty Standard Swiss bar movement with cylinder escapement..With lepine IV-like style...pre 1860? La Fabrique d’ébauches P.-E. Jaccottet también fabricó ébauches del calibre Lépine IV, el cual se utilizó de 1835 a 1850 Escape (mecanismo que permite acompasar la frecuencia en la marcha del reloj) de cilindro

found one similar but even less jeweled one the web

d.jpg

and one lupine IV style

121.jpg

even an Stauffer Son & Co. Chaux-de-Fonds factory one

Stauffer%20PW%20Movement.jpg

• Cylinder escapement
  • Brass balance wheel, no temperature compensation
  • Going barrel - no fusee - typical Swiss arrangement
  • Fully bridged - no top plate, unlike the full and three quarter plate movements described by Lecluse.
  • Key wind and set
  • Jeweled to the third wheel with clear jewels
  • Gilded plates and bridges, blued screws
Edited by gran

I have one very similar. This was passed to me a couple of years ago from my late uncles estate. It was my great uncles and possibly his fathers or uncles before him. I no nothing about it as it's history has been lost over the generations. It does however still work. I guess I should have it serviced sometime.

photo_zps69510f49.jpg

photo_zps5d50072f.jpg

photo_zps16b5521a.jpg

photo_zpsf17fcf0b.jpg

photo_zps9ff94d92.jpg

I have one very similar. This was passed to me a couple of years ago from my late uncles estate. It was my great uncles and possibly his fathers or uncles before him. I no nothing about it as it's history has been lost over the generations. It does however still work. I guess I should have it serviced sometime.

photo_zps69510f49.jpg

photo_zps5d50072f.jpg

photo_zps16b5521a.jpg

photo_zpsf17fcf0b.jpg

photo_zps9ff94d92.jpg

Yours is much better looking dial and case and pretty stamps, clearly better quality, need pics of the movement on yours to see similarity

This is the one i got after my grandfather

1910+ or so Runs like a dream and has been regularly serviced

GranFathersHam.jpg

• Like 1

That Hamilton looks nice.

Here's a few more. TBH this is the first time I've opened it up (oh the shame).

photo_zps69336e03.jpg

photo_zps69e4106b.jpg

photo_zpscbd8931f.jpg

It looks to be completely genuine and unabused, which I guess is a good thing. :)

That Hamilton looks nice.

Here's a few more. TBH this is the first time I've opened it up (oh the shame).

photo_zps69336e03.jpg

photo_zps69e4106b.jpg

photo_zpscbd8931f.jpg

It looks to be completely genuine and unabused, which I guess is a good thing. :)

Its sure looks like quality. Lucky you! Movement must be 1800 or so

Well, H Samuel started in 1862 in Manchester, England. So all I know is that it's post 1862. I may take it into a few shops to see if they can date it. I do love it but I don't wear it, perhaps I should start?

Kernow, it's a Climax model, which has been registered in 1884, your one should be from around 1890.

Thank you very much. I really didn't know it was that old! I suppose I should get is serviced now and take good care of it. :)