When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first movement teardown

GenTLe

• 1 month later...

Once you get the autowinder off and are at the mainplate, it's best to start at the balance wheel and remove the entire escapement first before getting to the train of wheels. Don't start with the barrel bridge. That way if you forget to relieve the mainspring all you get is a run away gear train but no damage done. For your flat click spring and keyless works spring, the plastic bag trick works but is cumbersome. Learn to pin the apex of the flat springs with a piece of peg wood and that is usually all you need do either putting it in or taking it out. Modify your oilers by filing the very tip just a touch flat so that the oil drop forms on the tip as opposed to the side. Too much oil will spread and foul your pinions, creeping down the staff eventually causing a variety of problems. And of course never oil the pallet, just the front of the pallet jewels. But that will take practice.

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

Very impressive work!

I'm (very slowly) doing it the wrong way by buying the stuff first and then learning things, but I'm terrible at making myself sit down and learn in the evening so end up just having to dive straight in when something needs doing for real :)

Thanks Tim.

About the oilers, which is the better shape in order to avoid the "oil on the side" problem?

Like I said a small flat spot at the tip does wonders. This is something every watchmaker does when getting new dip oilers. Like a grain of wheat with the pointy end removed. File it a little, dip it, and then watch how the oil drop forms. If you feel like fiddling around a bit before committing your actual oilers, get a paper clip and some needle files and experiment. Playing around like this is helpful because you also develop a feel for how the oil acts and flows.

Once you get the autowinder off and are at the mainplate, it's best to start at the balance wheel and remove the entire escapement first before getting to the train of wheels. Don't start with the barrel bridge. That way if you forget to relieve the mainspring all you get is a run away gear train but no damage done. For your flat click spring and keyless works spring, the plastic bag trick works but is cumbersome. Learn to pin the apex of the flat springs with a piece of peg wood and that is usually all you need do either putting it in or taking it out. Modify your oilers by filing the very tip just a touch flat so that the oil drop forms on the tip as opposed to the side. Too much oil will spread and foul your pinions, creeping down the staff eventually causing a variety of problems. And of course never oil the pallet, just the front of the pallet jewels. But that will take practice.

I took my oilers to a fine whetstone after reading this and they are now so much better, I squared off the tips, made the tip flatter and the polishing action also helped in getting the oil off the oiler onto the part I was oiling.

I can't believe that none of our tutors thought us this when quite a few of my class (training in Horology) struggled with cap jewel oiling and pallet stone oiling due to the oil not running off the oiler.

Thank's for the heads up.

I just made a wooden one with a toothpick. Although I haven't used it to re-install a jewel keeper yet, it does seem to work quite easily when just moving the keeper around on an old movement shock jewel. Didn't take but a few minutes to carve it out.

DSCN5279_zpsbff911b5.jpg