When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about a sick Daytona

wraithride

OK, so I was one of those that couldn't resist buying a daytona knowing that it would most likely be a time bomb. I know that the movement they use is not ideal due to the running seconds at 6, and this will always be an issue until a different movement is used. Here is what I am seeing; I've worn the watch on and off for the last couple of years. Lately the watch will run for a minute, and then it will consistently stop when the second hand reaches the 10 second mark, and won't move unless I shake the watch a bit to get things going again. So my question is this - is this pretty much the expected symptom of a daytona that is on its way to the trash bin, or is this possibly a different issue that could be fixed in some way? I'm not sure what the exact symptoms are of a dead daytona versus an issue that may affect the watch and can possibly be fixed.

If it turns out it's yet another dead daytona, are there any other options at this point besides throwing it away?

Looking forward to your responses.

WR

Yep, that's what happens to them. The seconds hand gets erratic, or stops altogether.

You can get the movement serviced, preferably with the graphite treatment (since Domi is no longer doing the jewel mod) and it will run again (at least for awhile).

Or, as an alternative, you could use the case set and build a Tudor Chrono with a regular 7750. You could also probably sell it for a small price and let someone else either fix it or use the parts. Don't just bin it.

If you really must have a modern Daytona, here are your options:

1) Best - franken build with Zenith elPrimero movement (big $$$$)

2) Better+ - the same version of the watch you probably have but with Domi's jewel mod (M2M sale at this point unless someone else starts doing them)

3) Better - the watch you have serviced and adding the graphite treatment to the troublesome transfer gears

3) Good - the version with the frozen center second hand

4) Fair - keep the watch you have and get it serviced whenever it starts to act funny. Keep the movement hacked when not wearing it and never use the chronos.

Edited by tomhorn

Yep, that's what happens to them. The seconds hand gets erratic, or stops altogether.

You can get the movement serviced, preferably with the graphite treatment (since Domi is no longer doing the jewel mod) and it will run again (at least for awhile).

Or, as an alternative, you could use the case set and build a Tudor Chrono with a regular 7750. You could also probably sell it for a small price and let someone else either fix it or use the parts. Don't just bin it.

If you really must have a modern Daytona, here are your options:

1) Best - franken build with Zenith elPrimero movement (big $$$$)

2) Better+ - the same version of the watch you probably have but with Domi's jewel mod (M2M sale at this point unless someone else starts doing them)

3) Better - the watch you have serviced and adding the graphite treatment to the troublesome transfer gears

3) Good - the version with the frozen center second hand

4) Fair - keep the watch you have and get it serviced whenever it starts to act funny. Keep the movement hacked when not wearing it and never use the chronos.

Thanks for this fantastic reply, this gives me some hope. I'm sure this infer is out there and I'll be searching momentary, but is there specific information on the graphite fix as to who performs it and the cost?

Thanks again!

WR