When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stiff crown when screwing in

derik429

I am unfamiliar with an SOA44, but check the threads on both the tube & inside the crown to see if they are cross-threaded or otherwise damaged. If both are ok, then either the stem may have become dislodged or the keyless works are misaligned (you will need to remove the movement from the case & the dial/handset to check this). If unsure or you lack the requisite skills/tools, this is definitely something to let a pro take care of.

Depends on "how stiff". Use nothing different than Silicon-grease to not attack the O-rings. Applied with a toothpick it may help.

Easiest 2nd step would be to open the caseback and just slightly loosen (not unscrew) the 2 screws holding the movement push the stem a little out to date or time setting and push it in again - retighten screws. Do all this in a dust-free environment while the watch is not running (this is if too much pressure is being exerted on the stem from the dial positioning).

Otherwise - go pro.

PS: You don´t need to wind it, just pick it up and possibly avoid setting time etc. Nice watch:)

Depends on "how stiff". Use nothing different than Silicon-grease to not attack the O-rings. Applied with a toothpick it may help.

Easiest 2nd step would be to open the caseback and just slightly loosen (not unscrew) the 2 screws holding the movement push the stem a little out to date or time setting and push it in again - retighten screws. Do all this in a dust-free environment while the watch is not running (this is if too much pressure is being exerted on the stem from the dial positioning).

Otherwise - go pro.

PS: You don´t need to wind it, just pick it up and possibly avoid setting time etc. Nice watch:)

. Once the stem is pulled out I can apply the silicone grease w a toothpick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Nightwatch: it may be the movement has been tighten with the stem not perfectly aligned.

To the OP: yes, unscrew the crown, pull the stem in the hour adjustment position and put some silicon grease (but carefully check with a lens that the thread is in good condition!)

wtf.

i typed out a long response to this and it didnt post i guess..

like others have said, it could be the stem is not perfectly centered with the movement.

take the back and movement tabs off and kinda move the movement around a little to get it nice and centered.

if that doesnt fix it, take the stem out and put the stem in with the movement still loose. jiggle it a little to make sure its centered.

put movement tabs back on.

if that doesnt work, it could be a stripped crown or tube.

be careful though. if the stem is bent going in to the movement, it can screw some things up.

i had a friend whos watch did this. ended up having to do a movement swap. his just stopped working all together. 

i had originally thought it was a stripped crown but after i took the movement out, the crown screwed in smooth as butter.

whatever you do, do not force it. if it gets stiff at a certain point, unscrew it and re-try.

if it doesnt get past a certain point, dont force it

greasing may help.

if you have some cape cod and some tweezers, you can clean up the threads a little. that helps sometimes.