When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Unexpected,....favorite ?

Richard Tracy

42mm PO 4th gen, replaced my SMP which eventually got flipped - didn't see that coming! I think the skeleton hands on the SMP was the deal breaker (great watch though it is).

@By-Tor, nice Speedy, good choice mate. As you know I liked the rep so much I bought the gen!

I agree about the PAM036, that seems to be my fall-back watch if I can't think of anything else or can't be bothered to wind and set date/GMT hands etc. I wear it a lot more than I thought I would and it has relegated the PAM001 from any wear at all! :blink:

This is not my favourite but a favourite - not because it's a particularly clever, popular or collectable rep but simply because it was sold (nae given) to me by one of my favourite forum people of all time, namely Dave Gates (dlgates) and it will remain in my collection for that fact alone.

Dave is still very much missed.

The Movado Museum:

168417-10442.jpg

JTB

This is not my favourite but a favourite - not because it's a particularly clever, popular or collectable rep but simply because it was sold (nae given) to me by one of my favourite forum people of all time, namely Dave Gates (dlgates) and it will remain in my collection for that fact alone.

Dave is still very much missed.

The Movado Museum:

JTB

Thanks for posting JTB,... I miss the true Gent. Dave as well...and pray him recovery..

He has, bar none the most elegant collection of watches I have ever seen,.. gen or rep,..

and that includes Neils...

Also 2005SUBMARINER,... thanks,.. Pams also surprised the heck out of me,...turning me

from a Panerai skeptic to a believer...

The reps that have pleasantly surprised me are probably the SS datejust which is extremely accurate compared to my TT gen (if you just want the most accurate Rolex rep and not a Sub or Daytona, the oyster case reps are always the way to go IMO), and the moonwatch. Yeah, the subdials are off but it's really nice quality. I also think that the Asian movement Pam 177 is a terrific watch for the price -- for $150 or less you get a rugged, water-resistant (or easy to make so) titanium watch. Hey, what more can you ask for?

The reps that have pleasantly surprised me are probably the SS datejust which is extremely accurate compared to my TT gen (if you just want the most accurate Rolex rep and not a Sub or Daytona, the oyster case reps are always the way to go IMO), and the moonwatch. Yeah, the subdials are off but it's really nice quality. I also think that the Asian movement Pam 177 is a terrific watch for the price -- for $150 or less you get a rugged, water-resistant (or easy to make so) titanium watch. Hey, what more can you ask for?

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita ! :thumbsupsmileyanim: {Thank you very much in Japanese.}

Has no one else been surprised by the quality of their reps ? .. :whistling:

I wasn't surprised when for instance my GST arrived because I'd seen enough photos to know it was gorgeous. The unexpected beauties are rare because to arrive in our posession we've already decided to pay for them.

The positive is that we keep buying reps based on the quality of those we've already bought and the fact it's so unsung is a testament to the quality we're getting.